And so the transformation begins

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

moparmike
GTX (RS)

And so the transformation begins

Post by moparmike » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:54 pm

Been a while since I been to the RRnest but update on car. I have pulled the 318/904 combo and on Monday we are dropping in a 1967 440 engine with 727 tranny.....I can't wait to take her out for a spin. To refresh memories since my last posts....I have 72 Satellite Sebring Plus....but I have decided to clone it into a GTX
When I first got the car the previous owner had already purchased a road runner grill and all the necessary badges. I will take some pic's and post them. I would think the 440 should make her get and go
Sometimes I get to feeling that if Xmas, Fathers Day and my Birthday did not exist, then aftershave too would not exist.

bruce
Site Admin

Re: And so the transformation begins

Post by bruce » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:17 am

You're going to enjoy the difference! :D
Bruce Anliker

BuckNeccid
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by BuckNeccid » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:21 am

If you start looking and can't find the dash emblem, give me a yell, I think I still have the molds and can make you one.

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:40 pm

That would be great the dash emblem is the only one I do not have and they seem hard to find.
Will post pictures soon as I have delayed the engine swap until this weekend as I needed a few misc parts.

Looking forward to feeling the big block difference.
Sometimes I get to feeling that if Xmas, Fathers Day and my Birthday did not exist, then aftershave too would not exist.

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:26 pm

Took out the 318/904 and the 440/727 :D went right in with out any problem....Man a 440 is so much bigger I just can't wait to get it up and running...Have to put in bigger rad..and I think a posi but at least I have what is needed.

I have taken pic's and will post soon

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:45 am

Oh yeah, that big mill will DEFINITELY need a bigger rad! DAMHIK...
Bruce Anliker

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:59 pm

Well the 440 is in and running but I have to get another rad I basically hooked up the old rad just to fire it up. ALL I can say is wow what a difference! :shock: Man the 440 packs a huge punch and I can`t wait to take her out and well punch the gas if you know what I mean. :)

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:14 am

Yup, I see a lot of rubber built up on the quarter panels in your future... :D
Bruce Anliker

71X-mark
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 71-GTX

Post by 71X-mark » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:02 pm

With all that heft and power from the 440, not only are you going to need a bigger radiator, but also heavier torsion bars and leaf springs to handle the added power. The suspension for the 318 is way too light.

rr6pak
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Tor-Red RR

Post by rr6pak » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:03 am

71X-mark wrote:With all that heft and power from the 440, not only are you going to need a bigger radiator, but also heavier torsion bars and leaf springs to handle the added power. The suspension for the 318 is way too light.
8) Torque boxes probably wouldn't hurt either

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:20 pm

I put all new Moog suspension in it and built up rear suspension and added air shocks I knew this day would come so we had the car semi prepared for the transformation from small block to well REAL POWER and the engine is rebuilt and balanced it was from a 67 plymouth so lots of torque

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:32 pm

Finally finished the install of the 440/727 etc,,,,dialed the car in and took it out for a drive and all I can say is :shock: HOLY F**K :shock: what a difference. Man does the 440 get these things moving in a hurry. WOW WOW WOW I just can not believe it. This is the first time I have driven a BB plymouth I always had small blocks in my cars. It is like night and day :D

CtownRunner
GTX (RS)

Post by CtownRunner » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:19 am

What's not to like!
Well done.

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:35 am

Can I just say one thing?

TOLD YOU SO! :D
Bruce Anliker

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:57 pm

My brother the real mopar nut really pushed me into doing the swap. The 318 was tired and the tranny was showing wear I thought I should keep the car original he convinced me to live a little. I kept the 318/904 but will not be putting it back in as this is waaaaaay to much fun almost scary power it takes a little geting used to thats for sure. It sure is a sleeper with the SSP badges and GY9 paint and stock hood.