kids, don't let your parents drive your car...

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

landon1
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring

kids, don't let your parents drive your car...

Post by landon1 » Mon May 31, 2010 12:13 am

i've been pretty angry the last few weeks, but i'm calmed down a bit and thought i'd share...

my mom's car was getting the trans replaced, i was going out of town for the week for work. so, i let her use my mustang for the week....2nd day she had it, totaled it.

personally, i don't think it should've been totaled. it needed a hood, bumper, grilles, headlights, and one fender - that's all. but, they said 10K in damage...up quite a bit from the 4K initial estimate. i bet someone who worked there wanted to get the car at auction dirt cheap and put less than 4K into it and have a really nice car cheap. not happy at all about it, as i loved that car. ever since they came out, i wanted one and it took me 2 years to finally get one after they came out.

paid cash for my current DD now - an '01 taurus. it's a nice car, paid for, insurance is cheaper, burn less gas...just not my style - funny thing is i began driving a '90 taurus about the same shade of dark red...

when i first got it

at the dam

last time i saw her.....

CtownRunner
GTX (RS)

Re: kids, don't let your parents drive your car...

Post by CtownRunner » Mon May 31, 2010 7:30 am

That sucks. Is your Mom OK.

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:20 am

All it looks like is a mild fender bender in the back of a truck(tow hitch and all).If I were you Id go hunting for other mustangs that were REALLY totaled in the ass end and grab what you need from the front.I wouldn't let someone just walk away with your ride for cheap.

This is when you give up on your ride.....TOTALED.

At least your mom didn't have your mopar.I hope shes okay.
"Sunny D"-1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring With Sundance Packaging

landon1
GTX (RS)

Post by landon1 » Mon May 31, 2010 11:22 am

she was fine...airbags didn't deploy even. the worst part is all the money i had invested in the car which i now have nothing to show for. i just barely broke even on it all, so in the end it's probably better i don't have to keep making payments every month on it, but i would've gladly taken it back.

i thought about getting one of the new mustangs, but man they are getting up there in price. plus, everyone has one now. initially i wanted to wait for a challenger, but at the time, i had a good job and didn't want to drive a clunker hyundai anymore and just couldn't wait any longer. i would get a new challenger, but they are beyond over-priced imo. i figure with the lower cost of not having the car will allow me more funds for the satellite. but, it'll take me about a year to make up for almost emptying out my main account to buy the taurus. so, now front end rebuild this year - maybe over the winter

quapman
GTX (RS)

Post by quapman » Mon May 31, 2010 1:24 pm

Have you asked the insurance co. if you can buy back the car? I would hope the'd give YOU first crack at it.

landon1
GTX (RS)

Post by landon1 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:43 pm

they offered, but it wasn't what i was expecting...they wanted me to continue making my monthly payments PLUS pay $3K and they'd give me the 8K to get it fixed wherever i felt like...paying an additional 3 grand on an already 24K loan doesn't make any sense.