GTX OR ROADRUNNER?

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

nathan buckley
Road Runner (RM)
My Cars: 1972 roadrunner x 2

GTX OR ROADRUNNER?

Post by nathan buckley » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:17 am

I'm interested in how many guys love their RR but would not buy a GTX? Given they're the same car... what makes them appeal to different people? The impact of branding and the emotional value these cars generate says a lot about nostalgia and human emotion. GTXs are also worth more too!

For me it's the stripe package, there is no car on the road with as much presence as a 71/72RR. But without the decals.... it's just not the same. I nearly bought a GTX last year but luckily with Eric's help passed at the last minute due to dodgy VIN TAGS. Now I wonder what the hell I was thinking... it might have been bad-ass black, but it looks like an old man's chariot.

And then you have this one... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-PLY ... 3efdaf667b

Sorry if this has been discussed before...

BuckNeccid
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Re: GTX OR ROADRUNNER?

Post by BuckNeccid » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:04 am

Like you said, basically the same car, but from the factory, the GTX was better equipped both power wise and suspension wise. It cost more, but you already have better rear springs, nothing less than a 440, and a little more glitz than was on the RR.

One other cool factor was that a lot of the brand X owners had no idea what a GTX was, but they sure knew what a RR was.

RS23-71
GTX (RS)

Post by RS23-71 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:40 pm

nathan buckley wrote:For me it's the stripe package, there is no car on the road with as much presence as a 71/72RR. But without the decals.... it's just not the same.

I know what you mean back in high school we use to say every decal that is put on a car adds 5 to 10 more horsepower. :beer:
1971 GTX Autumn Bronze - 4 speed, Dana 60 4:10

steved
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth GTX, GY9 Tawny Gold
2000 Nissan Xterra
2016 Fiesta ST
other stuff

Post by steved » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:40 pm

nathan buckley wrote:I'm interested in how many guys love their RR but would not buy a GTX? Given they're the same car... what makes them appeal to different people? The impact of branding and the emotional value these cars generate says a lot about nostalgia and human emotion. GTXs are also worth more too!

For me it's the stripe package, there is no car on the road with as much presence as a 71/72RR. But without the decals.... it's just not the same. I nearly bought a GTX last year but luckily with Eric's help passed at the last minute due to dodgy VIN TAGS. Now I wonder what the hell I was thinking... it might have been bad-ass black, but it looks like an old man's chariot.

And then you have this one... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-PLY ... 3efdaf667b

Sorry if this has been discussed before...
WOW...how did you get ember gold seats with black carpet and dash...maybe that's my original interior...

sjd
1971 GTX, GY9 Tawny Gold.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:42 pm

Just to be clear, the car in that ebay link was not the one I steered Woody away from. I don't know anything about that one.

I like both runners and GTXs, but I've never owned an X. The Xs are worth more I think mainly because of their limited numbers. I tend to like the stripes on a runner better, but I'd love to own an X too!
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

Elvad
GTX (RS)

Post by Elvad » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:57 pm

A GTX is always a 'P' car or premium price code, they cost ALL the money back in the day. A runner could have been half as much with a 383 4-speed and no other options. GTX's were loaded. It's like Newports always have 383's, a Newport with a 440 is the next price class and is called a New Yorker. I have a Sebring BB w/ac so with a few stripes or emblems I can have either.

nathan buckley
Road Runner (RM)

Post by nathan buckley » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:15 am

Sorry - that car was not the one Eric helped me with...

I was just looking at that auction, wondering where they spent 20k on the GTX?
Sad to see it neglected like that.

BuckNeccid
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by BuckNeccid » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:37 am

Elvad,I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly, somewhere here I read that the Sebring Plus is actually a rarer car than the GTX. If you consider there were just over 2900 71 X's made, how many Sebring Pluses were made? You may have a rarer car than you think, especially considering how many have been cloned into RR's or X's

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:15 am

BuckNeccid wrote:Elvad,I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly, somewhere here I read that the Sebring Plus is actually a rarer car than the GTX. If you consider there were just over 2900 71 X's made, how many Sebring Pluses were made? You may have a rarer car than you think, especially considering how many have been cloned into RR's or X's

Ah ha.Thats exactly what i think too.I hope someone starts making modern replicas or something of the rrs and Xs.I wouldn't want to see everyone getting the sateliites just to make clone cars. That would make me want to spend money and buy a gtx just to clone and downgrade it to a satellite.OOooooohhh that would make people hate me. :lol:

I like gtxs.They are more unique and exotic then the rrs.And the name is cool.3 letters.Epic.
"Sunny D"-1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring With Sundance Packaging

BuckNeccid
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by BuckNeccid » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:11 am

I first remember the GTX from a Mean Mary Jean commercial.. She'd come in front of the camera and say "come drive Plymouth's new GITTIX", and the announcer would say that's GEE TEE EX Mary, to which she would always respond, "Right, that's what I said, Gittix." By the time the commercial was over, even the announcer was calling it a Gittix. I've never been able to find that commercial, but I was able to find Mean Mary Jean. She has a page on Facebook, but it says nothing about Mean Mary Jean, just her time as Electra Woman's side kick, Dyna Girl. From her pics on the page, she's STILL a hottie :)

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:18 pm

You pose an intersting question regarding the Sebring Plus models as I understand it the Sebring Plus cost more than a Roadrunner but less than a GTX and today I can't see there being a lot of unmolested Sebring Plus models to be had. What is everyone's thought on this.
Sometimes I get to feeling that if Xmas, Fathers Day and my Birthday did not exist, then aftershave too would not exist.

pigman
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by pigman » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:53 pm

I purchased a 1972 Sat Sebring Plus and it has a vin that starts with RP. It came stock with the sports console, high back seats, Hurst pistol shift, and a 400 CID mill. Recently, I removed the original mill and used 440source to stroke it to 470 CID and find it very satisfying. I could always badge it back to the SSP but I am not a purest and bought and drive the car for MY pleasure.Image

http://www.tpigman.com/plymouth/rr.html
470 CID Stroker

nathan buckley
Road Runner (RM)

Post by nathan buckley » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:41 am

Whoa! how does it run with the stroker kit installed? I was thinking the same thing... what was the price on the kit?

NOrrTH
GTX (RS)

Post by NOrrTH » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:23 pm

My GTX came with RR '72 pillar strobe stripes and the chrome bumpers painted to match the body. Obviously its not correct but imo they look amazing and attracted me to the car.

I wonder how many people, if they owned the car, would peel the stripes off?

No doubt, when I take this car to shows, some people are going to roll their eyes and pick on it/me.
'71 GTX N96

pats71
GTX (RS)

Post by pats71 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:53 pm

I calculated all the options on my car and how much the costs were for all the options and it actually came out to be a lot more than what it would have cost to just buy a gtx. It has all the performance to it with the 383hp and 4 speed but then plenty of luxury too, so I have a feeling either the original owner loved his roadrunners or was trying to escape the insurance companies.
1971 Plymouth Roadrunner
383/4 speed/Air Conditioning