steved
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth GTX, GY9 Tawny Gold
2000 Nissan Xterra
2016 Fiesta ST
other stuff

Full Vinyl or not??

Post by steved » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:00 am

So, you all (or perhaps y'all) know I'm restoring a GY9 GTX. The car is supposed to have the Dark Gold vinyl top. There's pros and cons to doing one (rust being a major concern)...is it sacrilege to NOT do it? I think I prefer the non-vinyl look, but the car would be correct with the top. On the other hand, a Gold Vinyl top is a pretty rare thing in general...and I like the rare, odd and weird.

anyone have any opinions? (besides "it's your car, do what you like"))

sjd
1971 GTX, GY9 Tawny Gold.

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Re: Full Vinyl or not??

Post by Smellslike1974 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:21 am

I also like the oddities and rareness of things especially when Its dealing with cars.I have heard the same when I say I want to put the vinyl back on my car,but my car isn't gonna be left outside so to me that's not really an issue.I think as long as you put it on correctly and use more modern advantages everything should be fine.I would put It back on.
"Sunny D"-1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring With Sundance Packaging

Serious Satellite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1973 Plymouth Roadrunner (R.I.P.) totalled by my younger brother
1974 Plymouth Satellite Coupe (R.I.P.) sold to my other brother, died an ignoble death
1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring (Rusted In Place) sent to crusher
1984 Dodge Ram Prospector D250, 360 ci engine, hooker headers, edelbrock 4 barrel carb, 1991 grill replacement

Post by Serious Satellite » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:46 am

Interesting dilemna. . .I just read an e-article that proclaimed the vinyl top as one of the top five dumbest things to put on a car. . .the faux wood panels on many station wagons and vans being the number one. .

I'm kinda prejudiced after removing mine, fixing the rust problems, filing (hand tools, very little in the power tool category in my tool box) down the trim studs, filling in the fastener holes, sanding the thing down, primering it, sanding it again, primering it again, sanding it,

I think I like the idea of no vinyl tops. . .especially on the 73's and 74's. . .the halo just doesn't look right to me. . .the canopy, it's okay, but the no go on the halo. ..

steved
GTX (RS)
2000 Nissan Xterra
2016 Fiesta ST
other stuff

Post by steved » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:36 pm

It's a tough one to be sure. it's a REAL RS23 car, afterall...BUT it's not a matching car (if it was a matching car, the top would go on). The original idea was to do the exterior/interior as original, then do the not-original 440, but do disc brakes and other modern touches...

That guy Gionni's Pro Touring GY9 car is just so CLEAN looking with no vinyl top.

it could go either way, and with the car on the rotisserie, I should make the decision now so the studs and seams can be filled.

sjd

471Magnum
GTX (RS)

Post by 471Magnum » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:53 pm

As a matter of taste, these cars look better without the full vinyl top. Canopy top looks good on certain combinations, but the full... :yuk:
-Jim
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ULTIMATE set of tools... I can fix it."

steved
GTX (RS)
2000 Nissan Xterra
2016 Fiesta ST
other stuff

Post by steved » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:39 pm

here's another question...I might not have the top trim...that might make the decision VERY easy...

is it easy to come by? is it expensive?

sjd

steved
GTX (RS)
2000 Nissan Xterra
2016 Fiesta ST
other stuff

Post by steved » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:19 pm

Well, after some thought...I decided to bail on the vinyl top. I took a look at lots of pictures of both vinyl and non-vinyl cars. it's not going back on...

sjd

landon1
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring

Post by landon1 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:21 pm

i was searching for a full top molding set for my car - it had a painted roof instead of vinyl, but i gave up on that - when i find a set that is decent and not over-priced, i don't have money - when i do have money, i can't find any :D

steved
GTX (RS)
2000 Nissan Xterra
2016 Fiesta ST
other stuff

Post by steved » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:32 pm

don't ya hate that?

Today I bought a 3.23 sure grip (clutch type) from a guy...I was talking about the other stuff I need...like a back seat.

He's like "I got one of those!, I think it's just the back..." he's got it, and proceeds to clean the last 30 bucks out of my wallet. then he remembers he's got a satellite bottom in his storage trailer...I'm like "I'm out of money"

He says "That's okay, paypal me"

I'm like " NO! I'm OUT...OF...MONEY"

He cracked up.

I bought the seat bottom (which had a satellite broadcast sheet in it) and paypaled him.

sjd

P.S. He had a New Yorker there, 4 door hardtop (no post!!!) 440, with a floor shift auto, and buckets in front. There's no way there's another one like it. it was custom ordered and delivered to a serviceman in Panama (the country)

73X
GTX (RS)

Post by 73X » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:28 am

It's ugly...leave it off. Just my opinion :beer:

steved
GTX (RS)
2000 Nissan Xterra
2016 Fiesta ST
other stuff

Post by steved » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:28 am

That's what I decided to do.

sjd

orangerunner
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by orangerunner » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:12 pm

Since it is so unusual I would put it on. I agree the full vinyl roofs do not suit the lines of the 71 Road Runner. The vinyl roof abruptly cuts off the nice, one-piece flow of the C-pillar.

The vinyl roof looks good on the Challenger because the roof cuts off at the bottom of the C-pillar with the horizontal body line running across the top edge of the door to the rear.

On the other hand it is ugly. Basically by not putting it on, you can always go back and put one on, you haven't ruined anything. If you put it on and don't like it, it makes for a messy & costly job to remove it.