Post by Smellslike1974 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:38 pm

thanks!
"Sunny D"-1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring With Sundance Packaging

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Re: An update on Satty.

Post by Smellslike1974 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:16 pm

*see first page*
Last edited by Smellslike1974 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:33 pm

Found my nuts,everything is okay now.... :beer:

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:23 am

My heads got dropped off yesterday to get machined.Hopefully today Ill get a call to pick them up.

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:56 pm

*see first page*
Last edited by Smellslike1974 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:15 am

Emailed Lunati.

72Satellite440
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Plymouth Sebring plus

Post by 72Satellite440 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:07 am

Ive been looking over that crooked retainer problem of yours and on the web ive runinto a few good suggestions and If they aren't contacting like there suposed to then there are a few things that can cause that. Have a good look over that valve good to find out whats going on and you'll find it, better now then later with a dropped valve.

-a crooked or loose valve guide or a bent valve,
-a crooked/really worn retainer stud hole,
-or retainers a bit wonky

hope this helps and if it doesnt I usually dont take chances and Id go ask a machine shop their advice

"Dan- 72 Sat Sebring
72-SaTeLliTe440-Dan

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:01 am

72 Manitoba mopar wrote:Ive been looking over that crooked retainer problem of yours and on the web ive runinto a few good suggestions and If they aren't contacting like there suposed to then there are a few things that can cause that. Have a good look over that valve good to find out whats going on and you'll find it, better now then later with a dropped valve.

-a crooked or loose valve guide or a bent valve,
-a crooked/really worn retainer stud hole,
-or retainers a bit wonky

hope this helps and if it doesnt I usually dont take chances and Id go ask a machine shop their advice

"Dan- 72 Sat Sebring
Well that's what Im really confused on.I had my springs done professionally.They were concerned and asked what cam i had to need those springs,but they never said anything about the springs not being center with the retainers.They also machine the valve guides so the springs would work.Is there any chance that the stock retainers are causing it?Bit then again the springs should be straight anyway

72 RR fan
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner 440 auto
1971 Road Runner 383 4spd

Post by 72 RR fan » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:14 am

What is the shop saying about it?
Are they even familiar with old school stuff?
Plus, where did the springs come from? I see so many ill fitting aftermarket parts daily, but that's in the import world that I work in. My number one questions when buying is "Where's it made?" "What's the brand?"
I don't know so much about internal engine build myself, I just have to go to my machine shop and say "fix this". They've been around forever, and have a good rep.
I'd just ask the builder what's up, and see what they say...maybe even take them to another shop to take a look if I had to, just to make sure beforehand.
That's a drag to have to be so wary of them. I"m sure you were ready to put 'em on. Good luck with it.
"Did I just buy another car?!?"

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:51 am

72 RR fan wrote:What is the shop saying about it?
Are they even familiar with old school stuff?
Plus, where did the springs come from? I see so many ill fitting aftermarket parts daily, but that's in the import world that I work in. My number one questions when buying is "Where's it made?" "What's the brand?"
I don't know so much about internal engine build myself, I just have to go to my machine shop and say "fix this". They've been around forever, and have a good rep.
I'd just ask the builder what's up, and see what they say...maybe even take them to another shop to take a look if I had to, just to make sure beforehand.
That's a drag to have to be so wary of them. I"m sure you were ready to put 'em on. Good luck with it.
Yeah there been so many set backs and being suspicious of springs isn't what i need.

Right now I'm painting the heads and engine block.When paint is done ill unmask everything and make sure my valves aren't bent.Ill have to email the shop where i got them done.The people who did them builds high end motors.I'm not sure how something like this could have been over looked.

The springs were from jegs and are the recommended springs for my cam which is from Lunati.Its a voodoo cam.So I didn't buy springs from just any wheres.They are the right springs.

this is the site to their shop.Its a legit place.
http://www.jandeperformance.com/

I actually emailed lunati about two days ago and have gotten zip back.

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:55 pm

I just looked over the springs again looking at specifically what you said could be the problem and everything seems fine.The valves dont look bent.They are flush with the bottom of the head and straight at the top.The guide seals look straight.All valve locks are even.And all retainers are straight and the springs aren't bent or lopsided.The more and more i look at them I begin to think that it will be fine.They are double springs so there's the inner spring and damper inside the spring that i said is off center.I recorded a video that i will post later tonight of the heads done being painted but i also recorded the springs.

My dads saying they are fine.I admit,its seems I'm always TRYING to find something wrong concerning my engine.But I don't want a small problem to turn into a big one.

landon1
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring

Post by landon1 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:47 pm

i can't really see what the problem is from the pictures. almost looks like the assembly isn't all tight together at the top where valve, spring, retainer come together???? perhaps use a spring compressor (oreilly's rents them out i believe if you don't have one and take a bad one apart see if somethings binding it up.

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:30 pm

Landon everything looks straight.All the keepers are flush in the retainers.

I just uploaded a video to youtube,it should be processed by the time someones sees this.I recorded the springs pretty good.Let me know what you think.Am I being too obsessed over them??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE6NUpRD0PY

1bluegtx
GTX (RS)

Post by 1bluegtx » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:57 pm

Yes they make special retainers for dual springs,they are machined to positively locate the inner spring.I'm surprised the machine shop didnt mention this to you.
Check all the inner springs and make sure they are flat and centered on the retainer and not cocked to one side which will cause binding with the damper and outer spring.
You might want to consider new retainers as dual springs put alot more pressure on the stock steel ones.
Did the machine shop check the valves and valve seats or just assemble the heads?

BRIAN
Its not numbers matching
It doesn't run on pump gas
And it doesn't purr like a kitten
11.73 at 115mph

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:27 am

1bluegtx wrote:Yes they make special retainers for dual springs,they are machined to positively locate the inner spring.I'm surprised the machine shop didnt mention this to you.
Check all the inner springs and make sure they are flat and centered on the retainer and not cocked to one side which will cause binding with the damper and outer spring.
You might want to consider new retainers as dual springs put alot more pressure on the stock steel ones.
Did the machine shop check the valves and valve seats or just assemble the heads?

BRIAN
I did all the valve work myself.Only thing the machine shop did was machine the valve guides for the new springs and installed them and the seals.
I found the retainers on the lunati website. $52.Its worth it to me to find out if that's the problem.I'm thinking it is.the top of the springs have no guidance they are just...there!