An update on SunnyD.

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

RS23U1E
Road Runner (RM)
My Cars: 71 GTX

Re: An update on SunnyD.

Post by RS23U1E » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:23 pm

I've enjoyed reading through your post Sunny... Awesome work. Very inspiring. I have a 20-year resto project that I have recently restarted because my kids are now at an age when they can 'help'. I think much of the joy of having these cars is being able to share the stories of the resto / mod / work done to them. It can be tough to appreciate the process, especially when there are setbacks. Keep the updates coming!
1971 GTX 440 Gray Primer Air Grabber

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:58 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback guys! :beer:

I remember one day my aunt walked Into our garage.She looked at my car and said "You haven't done anything to It?"The comment caught me off guard and hurt.Here I thought maybe shed realize the work done and say good job or would have some sort of positive comment.I showed her pictures of before.She immediately realized It wasn't the case and acknowledged the differences.That's why Its good to have things such as videos,picture and journals on your project.Even I forget what the car looked like before sometimes,and looking back at the older pics I had taken It makes me feel good to know where I started,what i started with and that I have done the work.It gives me the motivation to work on It more.
"Sunny D"-1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring With Sundance Packaging

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:34 pm

Well where should I start!

A couple months I think It was I had posted a thread about my car not starting.The thread ended with me thinking It was the battery.Fast forward to about 2 days ago.My dad brings home this battery from work.Says Its almost brand new and that I should try It instead of dealing with mine.It wouldn't charge all the way,It would have juice just not enough to turn the car over.For awhile there I thought It was my starter solenoid,and I was jumping It just to let It run every few days until I got around to working on It.After awhile that wasn't working,then trying my jumpbox the negative started to flame up! :lol: I ended up putting the battery my dad gave me on charge for awhile and when I put It In the car started with the key fine.So since I made my battery tray custom to my old battery(which was brand new!)I had to modify It.My car starts fine now,no problems at all.

Now since I had posted that thread I didn't do too much to my car.Between messing around with my bicycles,wood work and doing things to house.I was neglecting It.Then one week I decided Ill get working on her again,finish the windshield area,get my front panels down from the rafters...Then we get hit by a hurricane!
Not only have we been dealing with the flooding from irene but then all these little storms we keep having, you just cant keep up.The flooding has stopped In our basement but the swamp near us Is still over flowed,and neighbors across the street are still pumping water from their yards,and since the swamp Is over flowed,the mosquitoes are HORRIBLE.You cant walk outside without 4 greeting you at the door.Damn things evolved too,big and they get you as soon as they land. :rant:

I plan on making my rear quarter panel patches soon.I'm tired of seeing the rust and I'm tired of everyone pointing them out as If I didn't notice."Got some rust there huh?" :mad:

So that's whats been going on with my car lately.hahaha

Anyone else blessed with irene? :rant:

Diriccatiticka
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner

Post by Diriccatiticka » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:13 am

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. I hope everything works out!
'72 Road Runner
Currently Engineering New Setup! 8)

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:12 pm

So today a friend helped me get the seats from the rafters of the garage and put them in my car. I took them out and put them up there back in 07. After all those years they still,

"Smell-like-1974".

I sat in the car,the give in the cushion,the height It's just right. It brought back great memories. I have no rug,and I really do not care. Now when I pull her in and out I'm not sitting of a 4 inch wooden block.
I'm going to slowly put the rest of my interior In.I'm gonna make a cardboard windshield just to put on the car so dust doesn't get inside.It's not much but it surely brought my spirits up.

As you know,my dad was in the hospital,then I had to deal with the bitch hurricane,and a month ago my dad was in a car accident,totaled his truck.Hes okay for the most part,hes out of work and has a neck brace.He was the only one really helping me with the bodywork on my car. 2011 Could have went better...

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:22 pm

Well its been awhile before anything major has happened with my car. Since my last post I made a new drip rail...well tried. I may just cut mine off,I don't plan on keeping it outside. I also did some more work around where the windshield sits. Also discovered my rockers making an annoying shattering sound when my engines running. When I was building my motor I was questioning everything. I didn't want anything to happen to my cars engine. After the heads were done by a shop that sooned turned bad with a friend after my job was done. I was really nervous on if they did it right(valve clearance and what not). This rocker chattering brought all those fears back. I ended up removing my valve cover and found out they are all tight vertically but a few can spin move side to side horizontally which let them tap each other causing the chatter.

Now this is the part where I became a total dumbass.

I spent a good two nights trying to find a good price on the stock rockers for my motor. I almost ended up ordering moper performance rockers at a price of $9 each. The next day I planned on ordering them that night when I remembered. I HAVE A 318 OUT BACK! :lol: So I went back and got the rockers and shaft off of it. They would be 5 years newer and I'm hoping when I clean them up they aren't as worn as my satellites. They wouldn't do what the others did before I loosened the shaft so they seem okay.

I have a question though. Should I keep the rockers from the parts motor on their original rocker shafts or can I just put those rockers on my original 318s rocker shafts? Do the shafts get worn out at all?

Other then that I got sick and tired of people walking into my garage,seeing the quarter panel rust and assuming because the rust is still there I haven't done anything to my car otherwise. Now I have done other patches on my car,most of them I wasn't so worried about because they wouldn't be seen as much. I did patch my fenders but It was a simple bend and easier to get to but I was holding off on the quarter panels because they were just plain intimidating. I figured today,you know what,its just metal,if it doesn't work out I can just cut it off and try again.

pics of the entire process:

I still have to make a piece to run along the bottom,a piece for along inside the wheel well and a support on the back because mine is severely rusted out. I think for it being my first quarter panel patch It looks pretty good.

CtownRunner
GTX (RS)

Post by CtownRunner » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:25 pm

Damn I admire U fortitude and U did a fine job on that lower quarter patch. I would be proud of it.

bandman1971
Road Runner (RM)
My Cars: possibly buying a butterscotch 1971 RR 383, automatic on the floor.

Post by bandman1971 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:22 pm

Awesome job!

:beer:

My favorite part of the last picture is the debris pile on the floor. Job well done.

Dennis

gcoupe72
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner originally equipped as lemon twist,400,4spd,air grabber,performance axle pkg.,bk. interior.

Post by gcoupe72 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:55 pm

Smellslike1974 wrote:Well its been awhile before anything major has happened with my car. Since my last post I made a new drip rail...well tried. I may just cut mine off,I don't plan on keeping it outside. I also did some more work around where the windshield sits. Also discovered my rockers making an annoying shattering sound when my engines running. When I was building my motor I was questioning everything. I didn't want anything to happen to my cars engine. After the heads were done by a shop that sooned turned bad with a friend after my job was done. I was really nervous on if they did it right(valve clearance and what not). This rocker chattering brought all those fears back. I ended up removing my valve cover and found out they are all tight vertically but a few can spin move side to side horizontally which let them tap each other causing the chatter.

I spent a good two nights trying to find a good price on the stock rockers for my motor. I almost ended up ordering moper performance rockers at a price of $9 each. The next day I planned on ordering them that night when I remembered. I HAVE A 318 OUT BACK! :lol: So I went back and got the rockers and shaft off of it. They would be 5 years newer and I'm hoping when I clean them up they aren't as worn as my satellites. They wouldn't do what the others did before I loosened the shaft so they seem okay.

I have a question though. Should I keep the rockers from the parts motor on their original rocker shafts or can I just put those rockers on my original 318s rocker shafts? Do the shafts get worn out good.
Agreed, great job on the quarter patch!
There's a great article on stock rockers in a recent Mopar Action.
Before you remove the rockers from the other engine, look at how they're mounted, see if the pushrods
are aligned properly. I'd try them as an assembly, just swap the whole set-up to your engine.
Left side to left side, right to right. If your problem is solved then you know where your problem is/was!
Good luck.

gary
GTX (RS)
My Cars: '71 GTX Gold Leaf Met.440 A/T

Post by gary » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:07 am

Keep up the good work,You will be rewarded! Gary, '71 GTX :beer:

1bluegtx
GTX (RS)

Post by 1bluegtx » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:05 pm

Smellslike1974 wrote: Also discovered my rockers making an annoying shattering sound when my engines running. When I was building my motor I was questioning everything. I didn't want anything to happen to my cars engine. After the heads were done by a shop that sooned turned bad with a friend after my job was done. I was really nervous on if they did it right(valve clearance and what not). This rocker chattering brought all those fears back. I ended up removing my valve cover and found out they are all tight vertically but a few can spin move side to side horizontally which let them tap each other causing the chatter.

I have a question though. Should I keep the rockers from the parts motor on their original rocker shafts or can I just put those rockers on my original 318s rocker shafts? Do the shafts get worn out at all?
Are you sure you are getting oil to the rockers? Some side to side movement is normal.Are the rocker shafts installed correct? The notch in the end of the shaft should go down and to the rear on passenger side,down and to the front on drivers.

BRIAN
Its not numbers matching
It doesn't run on pump gas
And it doesn't purr like a kitten
11.73 at 115mph

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:41 pm

Thankyou everyone. :beer:

The rockers are getting oil. I was afraid my oil pump went but I checked and they are getting enough oil. I will check the shafts but I kept everything the way it was when I took them off and I wouldn't have attempted to start the motor if I didn't think everything was correct. On the other hand we all make mistakes so I will check everything again.

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:56 pm

I feel like getting sick right now I just checked the shafts and they are on wrong. Instead of the notches being towards the front on driverside,its facing the firewall,which means the other side has to be backwards correct?Is there anyway for the notches to be towards the firewall on both sides?

When I took my rockers and the shafts off I never had any rockers loose. I laid them on a table,slid a dirty rocker off,cleaned it,then slid it onto a broomstick,then one after another,they never went out of order and I kept everything labeled. I know that doesn't explain the shafts being switched. I guess omehow somewhere that mistake was made. Can someone please tell me,could this have damaged anything such as the cam? What does having them backwards do exactly?Tomorrow I'm gonna take the rockers off,and I want to take my intake off to check it. I'm angry with myself for having this happen.

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:01 am

First off nice job so far. I know it's tough to keep up the spirits when a project gets drawn out for whatever reasons. Like Gary says, stick with it and you will get it finished...with a big big GRIN!

Rockershafts reversed. If you didn't run it too long you should be ok. The reason they have to be aligned is the way the oil holes point to provide oil at the center of the pivot point of the rockers. If you look at the shafts, the tiny oilfeed holes are off @15 degrees from the bolt down holes. That is so the oil is delivered right at the point of maximum contact.

I would take them off, in order, and just check for any serious galling or discoloration of the metal. If it's smooth and shiney you are ok. It still gets oil when reversed but not under the pressure and location it's needed. Don't worry everybody does that at least once :pity: .

If it makes it any easier, on the round end of the shafts, take a marker and put a mark where the oil holes are on he shaft. That mark should be down and closer to the intake manifold than the exhaust. You'll get it , no worries
:beer:
4th generation B bodys- there is no substitute.
68 383, Street Demon 750, RPM top end,484/284/108 poo poo cam "-5 spd 4:10 SG, 4whl disk, Helwig Anti-Sway, Poly bushings,Firm Feel Box, HD Linkage, 1" t-bars, 7 leafs Springs

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:44 pm

Thanks!

This car is not only stressing me out but now every conversation I have with my father about my car gets hostile. It is very difficult to learn anything about mopars from a chevy guy.

my dad-"Adjust the rockers"

me-" :lol: "

I know a lot and I'm not new at this,but I feel like I am being misled constantly and have been for quite some time. I'd hate to rant but I have to get some crap off my chest,it pertains to my car and my father.Its also information you guys need to know as i try and figure out problems with my car i am having.

First off,I am not one for power or going fast,I liked my car the way it was. I didn't want to race it or make it have more power,all I wanted was a simple rebuild with stock parts. My dad ended up getting me a new cam for christmas. After getting the cam I had to save even MORE money because I found out I needed racing springs with the cam he got me. I was like okay,I will get them,but then I found out I needed racing seals for the springs,THEN found out I need my heads machined so everything could be installed. Of course since I had a bigger cam I was persuaded to get a 4 barrel carb. So I bought an aluminum intake from my dads friend and I bought a 700 carb from one of my dads other friends. It was stock when I bought it but my dad had the guy "modify" it. I ended up getting back some frankenstein of a carburetor. Now because of that I am having issues. I'm still working on my car,its definitely not street legal and I can only get up to 40 down the edge of my property and then slow down. I asked my father why am I smelling gas when I take off the valve cover? He tells me its loading up from me just idling it in and out of the garage and "what do you expect?" as if its my fault. When in reality I am finding out what was done to the carb is royally screwing me.

During my rebuild I cleaned my oil pump out good. My Dad said it was fine. After having problems with my rockers chattering he says "I knew we should have put an oil pump in that." That pretty much sums everything up.I ask questions I get answers,but I am mislead and then questioned about later on. I wish for once if I asked him something he says 'I do not know" instead of trying to beat around the knowledge bush or give me inaccurate answers. After posting on here saying I fixed the rocker shaft I went out and got oil and a filter to do an oil change. My dad tells me to get to get 10 w40 high mileage.I ask why confused? I told him,I have all new rings,bearings and seals. He urges me to get it,says its what I need. Now like I said,before I did the oil change I had 20lbs of oil pressure at idle and 60 when accelerating. After the oil change I have 15 at idle. My dad told me its the oil pump. So i made a decision. I did order a new oil pump.Its the mopar performance High Volume,but I honestly think the oil hes been making me get is too thick and that's why my rockers aren't getting enough oil,or getting the oil quick enough but I'm not sure it just makes sense to me. I also got 30w oil so when I put the pump in I'll put in the 30w.

I don't like making my father sound like a complete jerk but I have to stop getting persuaded and pushed around regarding decisions with my car. I need to stop relying on him to teach me stuff when in reality he doesn't even know or isn't sure then I find out the hard way. Its like he was trying to build HIS car through mine,I dont understand it.