An update on SunnyD.

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Re: An update on Satty.

Post by Smellslike1974 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:21 am

landon1 wrote:can't wait to see it done...i'm thinking GOLD engine paint :D oh and i think you were curious about strange markings on your 400??? i may have found something similar for you to go on, if you wanna see, i'll send it to ya :beer:
I already have yellow for the engine,I'm thinking yellow block/intake,and i wanted to get valves covers like these.( i dont think mine will look right,not getting rod of them though,im keeping all of my original parts,just not on the car)

But i want to pinstripe the white yellow to match.I'm hoping to find a nice pair of shiny headers soon so ill have more chrome contrast along with the breather and such.(depending if i want to even attempt making my fiberglass breather idea, :o )

What you find out?Of course I'm interested.Image
"Sunny D"-1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring With Sundance Packaging

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:39 am

Found some info about the plant.It was in Detroit Michigan.

"Mound Road Engine was a Chrysler Corporation automobile engine factory in Detroit, Michigan. The plant was closed by Daimler Chrysler in 2002, with production shifting to the Mack Avenue Engine Complex. The factory had been home to Chrysler's production of large-displacement V8 and V10 engines for 47 years."

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:51 pm

*see first page*
Last edited by Smellslike1974 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:54 pm

*see first page*
Last edited by Smellslike1974 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

landon1
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring

Post by landon1 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:20 pm

DANG! i think your cam is worse-off than mine was - now that's an accomplishment since it's not a weak chevy cam :D

the holes you speak of are exhaust heat cross-overs i believe. they run from the head into the intake to get rid of some of the heat, i think since 2 exhaust ports are side by side. mine weren't plugged - i don't know that i've ever heard of them being "plugged" i guess someone could have plugged them on purpose. on big blocks, people get a different valley pan gasket that blocks the cross-overs. but, since small blocks don't have small blocks i'm really not sure - i would clean the crap out of them - looks like you should probably get that engine hot-tanked...i would anyway, clean out all the oil and water passageways and get the crud loose from everywhere - just my opinion, but if money's tight (i know that feeling) you could probably get away with some degreaser and an air shooter for your compressor to blow out all the passageways.

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:47 pm

*See first page*
Last edited by Smellslike1974 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

landon1
GTX (RS)

Post by landon1 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:11 am

looks to me like your cam is worn down pretty good - notice how the metal is all copper-colored? not good. i'd think you could probably get a cheap summit cam and lifter kit for less than a hundred dollars. if you have access to a pressure washer, i'd use a lot of degreaser on the motor and power wash the crap out of your block since hot tanking is probably out of the question. check your cam bearings to make sure they're not worn down. if you're lucky they'll be fine and you won't have to replace them. i would definitely replace your main and rod bearings just because though - they're probably worn enough where you'd need them anyway, but you're not quite that far yet. you may be able to use a hone on a drill or possibly use some emery paper to clean-up the cylinders a bit and you should replace your rings, but you could re-use them if you don't break them or anything. after you get the block cleaned-up, dry your cylinders and get them coated in some oil so they don't rust. hopefully your gaskets come with some valve seals for the heads, as they go pretty easily with unleaded gas. i have 2 sets of them if they're the same between big and small blocks i could send you. pour some gas or parts cleaner on your heads to see if your valves seep, hopefully not. then, you can use a brass wire brush on a drill to clean the carbon off your combustion chambers and valves - probably do the same for your pistons. you can soak your rocker shafts in gas or parts cleaner to make sure there's no blockage in there and get the gunk cleaned off them.

if you're lucky hopefully you can just use gas and parts cleaner to get everything cleaned up really well. then use a drill with wire wheel on it to clean off gasket material and any carbon and gunk. you have a timing set and gaskets. you really should get a new cam and lifters, and i'd definitely get rods and mains. you might have another $150 in parts there. also from sitting, you may need to get a rebuild kit for your carb, so probably another $20 there. oil pump is something you probably should do, but not a necessity if you're on a tight budget. so, you may have about 200 more in stuff to get, but that's a pretty good budget really - my budget started at around 1400 - i think i ended up closer to 1800, but i did a lot more stuff than you're doing.

carman
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)

Post by carman » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:15 am

The build up in your heads and intake is carbon from the exhaust. Check your heat riser on the exhaust manifold passenger side make sure it is not stuck.When it is closed it directs exhaust up thru the head into the intake to get heat under the carb in cold weather.Once hot the heat riser will open.Just chip it out with a screwdriver sometimes it is real hard just keep chipping away it will come out.

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:47 am

Thanks guys!

Yeah I'm gonna try doing more to the engine tomorrow.I was looking at cams today(just to see what i was up against if o...).I found one for $179.Im just not sure of the cam lingo Im reading.Id imagine the cheapest ones are the closest to stock?I need to look up my stock cams specs to compare.as for the port blockage.It seems impossible!

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:34 pm

My engine stuff Is on Its way!

I had to order from Jegs.(:o)Summit Racing wouldn't take my debit card.

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Hey guys i found a Holley Street dominator aluminum intake for my 318.Will this fit any year 318?I know when i was ordering gaskets there were two groups of years. :help:

landon1
GTX (RS)

Post by landon1 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:07 pm

there is the 318 everyone knows that was used for decades - it's the small block LA you have. the other 318 was a "wide block" with polyspheric heads - kinda like a hemi i guess. the street dom intake will work and maybe be a good item for your motor - then, you can get a 4 bbl :D

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:26 pm

landon1 wrote:there is the 318 everyone knows that was used for decades - it's the small block LA you have. the other 318 was a "wide block" with polyspheric heads - kinda like a hemi i guess. the street dom intake will work and maybe be a good item for your motor - then, you can get a 4 bbl :D
yeah thats what im going for i already have a 4 barrel from my 400.Im gonna borrow it.

i guess ill get it.

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:57 pm

*See first page*
Last edited by Smellslike1974 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:47 pm

*see first page*
Last edited by Smellslike1974 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.