Too Blue Two

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

72Rdrnner
GTX (RS)

Too Blue Two

Post by 72Rdrnner » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:55 pm

OK, gang...since the Plymouth car line, the Road Runner, and as of today it seems Chrysler no longer exists, I had to break down and by a Dodge, before the anointed one bans "muscle cars".

37 years after the first one I have my second....picked it up two days ago. Yeah, yeah, I know it's not a "Plymouth B-body" but what's a guy to do.

Anyhow here's some shots of my "Too Blue Two" pair!

The "new" B5 was as close as I could come to the "old" B3 Baisn Street Blue, aka Petty Blue.

And how I put both of them in the same garage with a 40 foot motor home!

Interestingly enough the Challenger is shorter by a foot than the Road Runner. From the top of the window back they are the same, but the Road Runner is longer in front of the front wheels.

Righteous One Owner '72 Roadrunner

fourforty6pac
GTX (RS)

Re: Too Blue Two

Post by fourforty6pac » Fri May 01, 2009 1:35 am

Sweet car. Chrysler will go on, just will less of an American car.

72Rdrnner
GTX (RS)

Post by 72Rdrnner » Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am

fourforty6pac wrote:Sweet car. Chrysler will go on, just will less of an American car.
Funny, or maybe not so, you mention "less of an American car".

The window sticker has a "Parts Content Information" block. It says:

Final Assembly Point: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Country of Origin:
Engine: Mexico
Transmission: Mexico

"U.S./Canadian Parts Content: 56%"
"Major Sources of Foreign Parts Content: 16%"

So the obvious question is? Where the hell did the remaining 28% come from?

As I "tracked the car" it seems to have moved from Brampton, to Sterling Heights, Michigan for "striping" whatever that is as I had the hood stripes deleted, then back to Brampton to be put on a rail car that went from Canada to Illinois to Arkansas and finally Louisiana. And I thought flying was complicated!

RS23-71
GTX (RS)

Post by RS23-71 » Fri May 01, 2009 9:18 am

Nice find...... did you check under the backseat or under the carpet for the broadcast sheet? :lol:

Very nice car..... I hope you enjoy it. :beer:
1971 GTX Autumn Bronze - 4 speed, Dana 60 4:10

72Rdrnner
GTX (RS)

Post by 72Rdrnner » Fri May 01, 2009 9:37 am

RS23 '71 wrote:Nice find...... did you check under the backseat or under the carpet for the broadcast sheet? :lol:

Very nice car..... I hope you enjoy it. :beer:
No, but the dealer was nice enough to print out what I guess is now the broadcast sheet. I also got what appears to be some sort of final inspection worksheet. The neat part is the window sticker has "This vehicle was built especially for" and my name on it. I was told this is done when you special order a vehicle, which the sales manager said is not that common as most sales are off the lot inventory. Kind of surprised me, but then the last new car I bought was 1989 and the one before that was the '72 Road Runner. I tend to keep cars a long time.

The 1989 car was a Toyota Supra Turbo which I sold to a fellow retiree who lives around the corner and who spent a lot of time helping me with the Road Runner restoration. The car only had 59,000 miles on it, not bad for being 20 years old. My only caveat was if he ever decides to sell it I get first right of refusal to get it back.

I let him driver the Challenger yesterday and he "stuck his foot in it" coming up on the interstate and from the grin on his face I know he enjoyed it as much as I am. :D It really "gets on it". Even has a 0-60 and 0-80 timer plus a 1/4 mile timer. All built right into the speedometer. Amazing stuff!

ct71rr
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Road Runner

Post by ct71rr » Fri May 01, 2009 10:56 am

Very Nice!!! Here's mine...

72Rdrnner
GTX (RS)

Post by 72Rdrnner » Fri May 01, 2009 11:48 am

Nice ride...I notice your's doesn't have the blacked out hood. Did you have that deleted when you ordered the car? Or was that part of a different package?

ct71rr
GTX (RS)

Post by ct71rr » Fri May 01, 2009 12:27 pm

72Rdrnner wrote:Nice ride...I notice your's doesn't have the blacked out hood. Did you have that deleted when you ordered the car? Or was that part of a different package?
I have an R/T that originally came with the hood to fender stripes but, I took them off. I'm planning on adding this side stripe soon (black w/R/T script)...

http://www.ridergraphix.com/Challenger_OrangeRT3.jpg

1972RM23
GTX (RS)

Post by 1972RM23 » Fri May 01, 2009 6:05 pm

That's a cool stripe kit!
I would order one like that ... with a black vinyl top (aftermarket) that would look really cool too!

1972 Road Runner N96 EV2

Eric
Site Admin

gone to the dark side

Post by Eric » Mon May 18, 2009 6:55 pm

Well guys, looks like I've gone over to the blue Dodge side too. Just picked up a new Challenger last week. Here's a photo of my new ride at a show this last weekend. I love this car!!!!!
Attachments
215.jpg
(52.35 KiB) Downloaded 2308 times

landon1
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring

Post by landon1 » Mon May 18, 2009 7:07 pm

nice....i love the blue, but i think it'd be nice to get a white RT with cop car wheels, or modern-size rallyes :beer:

ct71rr
GTX (RS)

Post by ct71rr » Tue May 19, 2009 10:39 am

Very nice Classic you got there! I love those heritage wheels! :beer: Check out challengertalk.com.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Tue May 19, 2009 7:19 pm

I've been on the challengertalk site a couple times, but I need to browse around there more.
I didn't like the wheels from the initial factory photos, but after seeing them in person I think they're one of the best looking available from the factory.
I'm thinking this car needs a shaker hood now!
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

RS23-71
GTX (RS)

Post by RS23-71 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:32 am

I don't know how you guys do it... my current piece of crap's timing chain is making a ton of noise and the car is 16 yrs old and not worth putting one more dime into. I have been debating buying a new car or a used one.. and since I was thinking new of course I looked at a challenger. You got about 3 choices the v6 version, the r/t and the srt 8. Well the srt 8 is out of price range big time I wouldn't mind the v6 version but nobody around here seems to have them so I decided to price out the r/t instead. For the r/t they want $7000 down and $508 for 60 months well that makes sense........but in a down economy for a company in bankruptcy you think they would lower the prices a bit on their cars. I barely have a job and I'm lucky I have only been dropped to 32 hrs a week and still have one.

Sad part is I have always owned american brand cars but for the 1st time in my life because of price, fit, finish, quality and possible resale value it looks like I might be forced to go with a foreign brand..... even with american car companies in trouble they are giving ppl like myself little reason to buy american brands and I'm looking very hard for reasons to buy an american brand.

All I can say is I'm really really jealous of you guys and wish I could follow your examples but nowadays the big 3 are not helping me to help them in any little way I can. :(

Edit: Sry I didnt mean to be a debbie downer to this thread
1971 GTX Autumn Bronze - 4 speed, Dana 60 4:10