Another bogus car on ebay.

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

Eric
Site Admin

Another bogus car on ebay.

Post by Eric » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:20 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Plymouth ... enameZWDVW
I really have to wonder why someone would do this. I've heard the excuses like: I just want to have a tag on my car, I'm not trying to deceive anyone.
Well, this one seems to me that someone was trying very hard to pass off as authentic...and I seriously doubt they made it using the car's broadcast sheet. The fender tag has at least three wrong or missing tag codes.....yet someone tried to make it look old, putting dents and bends in it. It's not like it's a high dollar hemi car or a factory correct restoration.....so again, why do this? It only makes me suspect what else is hidden, like poor rust repair or even a rebody. I would much rather buy the same car with no fender tag than the way it is now.
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

landon1
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring

Re: Another bogus car on ebay.

Post by landon1 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:12 pm

it's a very nice car...i'm not into the "numbers game"...do all of that work, and put in velour insert seats??? it also says painted on stripes under the clear "a factory option" - base/clear wasn't used then, correct? stripes are vinyl and go on top of the paint or clear...personally, for durability i'd put them under the clear, but for a restoration, no....the black parts look to glossy as well....but again, very nice car - wish i had one in that great of shape...just don't understand the fender tag, VIN, and numbers stuff that people get into...if someone wants that car, the other stuff doesn't really matter imo

lb71fish
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by lb71fish » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:32 pm

Just curious, If car is original sheet metal could you get a trunk lid with the spoiler cutouts in 72?

471Magnum
GTX (RS)

Post by 471Magnum » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:54 am

lb71fish wrote:Just curious, If car is original sheet metal could you get a trunk lid with the spoiler cutouts in 72?
It's not very difficult to cut the bracing.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:15 pm

lb71fish wrote:Just curious, If car is original sheet metal could you get a trunk lid with the spoiler cutouts in 72?
An early car could have the cutouts....left over 71 parts.
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

bandman

Post by bandman » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:54 pm

I am with Eric on this one....Something is fishy, other than that it has a GTX "added"

P.S.
My 72 RR came with the cut outs already in the trunk lid. Built on Sept 1, 1971.

Dennis

moparmodeler
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 plymouth Satellite with a slant 6.

Post by moparmodeler » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:25 pm

I have a early 72 Satellite made in 71, and it has a 71 deck lid.

scotty82g
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 1971 roadrunner bahama yellow sunroof

Post by scotty82g » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:51 pm

i think its a real nice car but for someone into numbers correct cars thats a headache and a half and all the guys really into #s are really anal about that stuff when people mess with em. im having my fender tag reproduced by www.gvgovier.com and i had to have my title, production brodcast and a pic of my vin# just cause some dumbass had to steal the fender tag off my car while it sat. numbers are that important people are stealing the original tags to make a buck!

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:18 pm

scotty82g wrote:i think its a real nice car but for someone into numbers correct cars thats a headache and a half and all the guys really into #s are really anal about that stuff when people mess with em. im having my fender tag reproduced by http://www.gvgovier.com and i had to have my title, production brodcast and a pic of my vin# just cause some dumbass had to steal the fender tag off my car while it sat. numbers are that important people are stealing the original tags to make a buck!
Be careful, I know of at least one tag Galen did for a 71 that is WRONG.

dragman440
Road Runner (RM)

Post by dragman440 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:04 am

I'm not trying to pass my car off as anything but a '72 Satellite and it has a 72 no cut out trunk lid. I want to install a go wing. I have the wing and hardware. Can someone post a pic. of a '72 lid that has been trimmed on the under side to install the wing? I would appreciate it.
'72 Satellite Sebring 318

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:17 pm

I don't have any photos of 72 lids that have been cut for the wing, but here's a pic of my 71 lid with the cutouts.
Attachments
IMG_0027.jpg
(33.09 KiB) Downloaded 781 times

dragman440
Road Runner (RM)

Post by dragman440 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:03 pm

Thank you. :beer:
'72 Satellite Sebring 318