request for participation

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

Eric
Site Admin

request for participation

Post by Eric » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:10 pm

I was recently speaking with another Nest member, Jeff (71RM23), asking him to share more of his knowledge of 71 cars on the nest.....and he caused me to realize I should be posting this as a request to everyone.
None of us know everything about these cars, and the more experience everyone shares, the more we'll all learn. I personally have focused on the 71s, and I know there are others here who know a lot more about a different model year. I for one am happy to hear from others about their knowledge.
I personally get a little annoyed by guys who come on here with a lot of posts asking questions during a restoration (and those are their only posts), then turn around and sell their car shortly after and we never hear from them again. But we'll always have that, and they do bring up good discussions.
So I'll encourage all of you out there, some who may be silent members now, to participate. We'd all like to hear from you. Just be clear about your opinions or known facts, and we'll all get along fine. Let's make this an even better community.

Ok, I'll get down off my soap box now!
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

landon1
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring

Re: request for participation

Post by landon1 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:31 pm

i agree....always could use more info...i'll take as much as anyone can give, and give my ideas/info i've read about as well really wish i had an unmolested car to share info on, but mine is becoming more of a custom/appear original set-up by the time i'm done (a long way off):beer:

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:47 am

I'm always glad to spread my disinformation... Eric and Dave know WAY more than I do about the numbers and such. I'm just the old geezer of the three who grew up with these cars! :D
Bruce Anliker

71rm23
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by 71rm23 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:49 am

Hey Guys,

Eric is right. I am a frequent visitor to the site. I have in the past sat on the sidelines and observed. Just look at the number of my posts, the vast majority in the last two days! The Nest can be a magnificent tool if we all contribute. We all learn more by offering one's own knowledge. And I have seen numerous people on here with a great deal to offer regarding all models and years. I suspect however, there are others just observing when something valuable could have been contributed. Discussion and debate is good. I know first hand life is busy, but if I have time to snoop around the site, I have time to post if I have something that can be beneficial to the group. I have to congratulate Eric for opening my eyes so to speak. This site is what we make of it, and it is a great site.

Jeff

sogtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 hemi gtx , 69 1/2 bee, 69 rag RR, 74 chally 4 speed, 67 dodge stepside, 71/2 satellite resto mod track car ( under construction) , ?

Post by sogtx » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:09 pm

I never realized that we can upload pics ..

a couple years ago we couldnt so it was hard to tech something without pics ..

I just assumed that you had to do a link , I dont have one of those fancy sites ..

Plan on some serious uploads .. I have no problem helping this site get some more recognition

and hopefully helping with someones dilemmas or getting help with mine,

Eric , youre a 71 bbody walking encyclopedia Ive dome my fair share of parting and am on my

fourth decent 71 -2 BBody .. I have some knowledge , but youve got some serious info stashed away I can only dream of seeing ..

Gotta check out the archives someday .. Maybe when I put the heat in your garage :D
Attachments
4086914-stopahead.jpg
(53.07 KiB) Downloaded 3688 times

DixieSatellite
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)

Post by DixieSatellite » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:27 am

I think that this is a fair point. You don't have to be an total afficionado and detail guy to be able to contribute to the site. I always like the stories / experiences of owning these cars (in my case, driving a fully-loaded (as in, everything we owned) SSP coast to coast (twice) in '91-'92) just as much as the tech details / information, such as what bushing to use during a front end rebuild. I have been on other sites where a lot of information is 'demanded' (yup, not even requested), with little contribution made in return. Unfortunately, this seems to be fairly common where information is freely available - my wife runs a website dealing w/ advice re. complex educational issues and the number of times her detailed answers to what are serious issues / questions are not even acknowledged (let alone appreciated) is amazing.

All information here is great - I work in aircraft engineering (electric power systems / pneumatic systems) / technical support and from experience I live firmly by the philosophy that there is no such thing as a stupid question and nobody should be discouraged from asking for fear of ridicule, especially newer, younger owners. Right up until last month I didn't know the differences between the diff used on the different years / models, until a handy little chart was submitted. I have not had the opportunity to spend years taking apart and reassembling the cars to know this detail - in fact for the 18 years I have owned my car, 15 have been in a garage (as life went on) and it is only now receiving the attention it deserves.

What I do hope to offer, however, is a very good example of an original '72 Satellite Sebring Plus 400, where all the mechanical stuff is being refurbished back to the way it came from the factory and the unmolested stuff staying the way that it was delivered. I am redoing the factory Ermine White / Argent Silver (which would not have been my first choice) as this is what is on the data plate / build sheet + VIN and there is value in leaving that way. I plan to have as much survivor / original reference stuff as I can which will hopefully be of help to other readers / owners, especially as original survivor cars are becoming so much harder to find.

I am sure there are plenty of people who are not sure what they have to contribute and the fact that you are not an expert does not mean you can't join in. We are all here to learn and share all knowledge of these beautiful cars.

:beer:

Ian B.
'72 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus 400-4BBL

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:43 am

I am still fairly new to the site but it is turning out to be my Mopar bible. Lots of great info from guys who care. I am just starting to semi-restore my car and no way I will ever sell it because it took toooooo many years to find a goood one and besides do any of you ever get tired of People saying NICE CAR. It is amazing since I got mine out of storage 2 weeks ago just how many people stop to look at it, I drove it to a Mall and when I came out I found a note from someone who wanted to buy it. To those who visit, take the info, and then sell it, well thank you for selling it to a REAL MOPAR LOVER at least it will be appreciated for years to come and that is what it is all about my friends.
Sometimes I get to feeling that if Xmas, Fathers Day and my Birthday did not exist, then aftershave too would not exist.

anthony
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by anthony » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:23 pm

Thank god for this site. i got my first car which happend to be a real 1971 plymouth roadrunner matching numbers with a 383.

now that literally answered my prayers. im getting my lisence june 6th, so i have no idea hwo these beautys drive yet. im still 16 years old... and mopar has took over my life. i got my car septemeber 16th, 2008. and i need it done by june... i just finished sandblasting the whoel front end, so now my guy will be welding all the holes and patchign up eveyrthign, and then i move on to painting the engine and the engine bay. so in 2 weeks il be putting in the whoel front end back together, and thats where if anytgin ill post some pics of peices that i forgot where they are, but its rare cause i took every note down. on wirings and peices. but besides that...day by day im learnign more and more... and i love it. THIS CAR WILL BE WITH ME TILL I DIE.
as poor as i get or as much my future wife doesnt want it..... too bad, this was my first car and my first baby so im never letting it go.

and so thats my story... so far. hahaha
1971 Plymouth Roadrunner
383 MEAN MACHINE!

Ron_M
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by Ron_M » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:52 am

I browse this site occasionally and would like to see the Image Gallery active again with vintage ads and maybe an expanded technical archive. There is alot of great information on other sites is there anyway it could be used here? Maybe creating or having contributor supplying .pdf files and hosting here?

My concern is "copyright" issues

I try to help out when I can post a knowledgeable answer.

Thanks for providing a great site.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:32 pm

Unfortunately, Dave is the only one who can answer when the images area of the site will be back up and running.
Several have mentioned having information to share like old road tests, vintage ads, etc. There is an area for this kind of stuff in the technical archive section. If you have anything, you can post it in the general section, and I'll move it over to that area.
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

bandman

Post by bandman » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:06 pm

I would love to participate more, if I felt I had more to contribute. If this were about high school instrumental music, I am sure I would be a contributor.

I tried to sell my car about 6 weeks ago, but I was not going to give it away. The funny thing is I had so many issues last year with trying to get my interior from legendary I actually learned to hate my car. Everytime I went into the garage all I felt was discouraged.

Then I became obsessed with the new challenger and really wanted one, so to Ebay I went.

Taking pictures of my car for guys who were "interested" actually raised my OBSESSION with my Road Runner again. I have the new seat covers in and will be finishing up the door panels this weekend. Once I finish up the headliner it will be an almost done project as far as I am concerned (mostly).

Am I glad I still have my car......Yup. Will I sell it one day......Maybe...... Maybe not. I don't think so, but I am not promising anything because you don't know what life will bring next. I hope that no one is dissapointed with any decision I would make because my goal during this process was not to steal peoples ideas but to do the job as well as I could. A profit margin has never been my intention.

Dennis

PS Sorry for the wondering thought process of my post.

Serious Satellite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1973 Plymouth Roadrunner (R.I.P.) totalled by my younger brother
1974 Plymouth Satellite Coupe (R.I.P.) sold to my other brother, died an ignoble death
1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring (Rusted In Place) sent to crusher
1984 Dodge Ram Prospector D250, 360 ci engine, hooker headers, edelbrock 4 barrel carb, 1991 grill replacement

Post by Serious Satellite » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:36 pm

Are you asking us to write articles on the cars? Perhaps refute other articles written about our beloved b bodies that impugn the car?

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:22 pm

Not asking anyone to write articles. I'm saying if you have old road tests and want to share scans of them and put them in the general forum I can move them to the technical archive.

1972RM23
GTX (RS)

Post by 1972RM23 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:59 pm

Eric wrote:Not asking anyone to write articles. I'm saying if you have old road tests and want to share scans of them and put them in the general forum I can move them to the technical archive.
I've got stuff I can post on 1971 and 72's
1972 Road Runner N96 EV2

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:48 pm

1972RM23 wrote:
Eric wrote:Not asking anyone to write articles. I'm saying if you have old road tests and want to share scans of them and put them in the general forum I can move them to the technical archive.
I've got stuff I can post on 1971 and 72's
You were one of the people I had in mind when I made that statement Steve