New Stripes!

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

Eric
Site Admin

New Stripes!

Post by Eric » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:58 pm

Well, I finally put new strobe stripes and rear bumper/valance blackout tape on the Road Runner today. It had this awfull painted strobe when I bought it. After much wet sanding and buffing, no more white paint and brand new reflective tape! The blackout is correct for the car too, but had been removed some time in the past. I think it really makes the car look a lot better. Too bad the car doesn't have the exhaust tips, at least for now. At least this will look decent untill I can to a full resto like project bluebird!

AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

CtownRunner
GTX (RS)

Nice lookin car

Post by CtownRunner » Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:55 am

My car is Sublime with black painted strobe stipes. How hard was it to put the new ones on? It will be a yr or 2 befor I am ready to redo the strobe but just wondering. Think I will do the rear valence black too.
BTW Nice lookin car!

Chris
CtownRunner

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

Looks Great

Post by Dave » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:33 am

Eric,

It looks great! The reflective stripe really sets the car off. What's this about a 'full resto like Project Bluebird'? You thinking of painting that EL5 car GB5 and cutting a hole in the roof too? ;)

Oh, Chris, if your car came with the Road Runner decor group (A87 on the fender tag), it should have had the bumper and rear valance tape stripe.
Dave
Founder - The Road Runner Nest

71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

Eric
Site Admin

Thanks

Post by Eric » Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:47 pm

Thanks guys. I was really happy with how they turned out.

Chris, I was lucky. My stripes were laquer and the car is painted enamel. Laquer thinner and a lot of elbow grease took them off, then a whole lot of wet sanding and buffing followed. The strobe stripes were not that difficult at all. Getting them centered on the roof was the hardest part. I taped one side down (along the long side of the stripe) then flipped them over and peeled off the paper....wet everything down (soapy water or window cleaner) and flipped it back down on the paint. The strobe probably took about an hour...now the blackout stripes are another story....let's just say getting the tape right around the tail lights isn't much fun. BTW, the A87 group also added the hood pin stripes too (see pic)

Dave, no I think mine will stay EL5 for a long time, and as cool as yours is, I think I'll keep my roof holeless too!

AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

1972RM23
GTX (RS)

Post by 1972RM23 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:00 pm

Sweet loking stripes! I love strobe stripes!
Steve

oldyeller73

Post by oldyeller73 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:06 pm

WoW!! Awesome Runner!!!! :)

Eric
Site Admin

Thanks

Post by Eric » Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:46 pm

Thanks again for the compliments.
I love strobe stripes too, I'm really glad the car is coded for them, but I have to say that when I got the old stripes stripped off and stepped back to look at the car, I really liked it without them too! I almost talked myself into leaving them off.

mopar71
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 roadrunner

Post by mopar71 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:38 pm

:D Awsome car! Love the color, here is mine:
http://groups.msn.com/MarkandVelana/juniper128.msnw

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:43 pm

Mark
Nice to see another butterscotch RR!!! I like the wheels. I don't see many butterscotch cars around this area. I think that's why I like the color so much, I don't go to a show and see a bunch of cars just like mine. What options does yours have? Is it an LA built car?

73roadrunner

Post by 73roadrunner » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:45 am

8) Really nice color!

mopar71
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 roadrunner

Post by mopar71 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:42 pm

Eric, I think my car is an LA built car, i am presently working on the engine, I plan to install strobe stipes to.I have magnum 500 wheels for it and also some new crager wheels to.If you go to this site you can see my progress.Mark and velana are the administrators of the site,I just post my pics on their board.Just like dave takes care of this board.My name is on the first picture. This is my second bahama yellow car(ok! Butterscotch) :lol:

http://groups.msn.com/MarkandVelana/juniper128.msnw