Why is it that Mopar owners are afraid to . ..

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

landon1
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring

Post by landon1 » Tue May 27, 2008 8:35 pm

it's mopar...so it's WAY different than anything else lol....oh yeah, PS... I WON "Cool Car of the Week" from the local oldies radio station :beer:

74rr400
Road Runner (RM)

Post by 74rr400 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:06 am

the way i have my car is considered day 2. headers, shackles, cragar s/s's, holley carb, cobra cb with a general lee style antenna on the deck lid!! the car has worn the cragars since it was 2 weeks old. they have been on the car so long i dont think it would look right without them

aerodynamic
GTX (RS)

Post by aerodynamic » Wed May 28, 2008 12:17 pm

I've actually considered sort of de-dressing my car a bit. It's got a couple weird trim options on it like the rocker trim (aluminum "bright" strips) and headlight covers (half-moons). I've never seen these on another b-body. I can't imagine adding anything to the outside though. Someone else in this thread had it right. The bodies are so aesthetically sweet, any mods seem....wrong.
73 Road Runner 400 auto

Serious Satellite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1973 Plymouth Roadrunner (R.I.P.) totalled by my younger brother
1974 Plymouth Satellite Coupe (R.I.P.) sold to my other brother, died an ignoble death
1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring (Rusted In Place) sent to crusher
1984 Dodge Ram Prospector D250, 360 ci engine, hooker headers, edelbrock 4 barrel carb, 1991 grill replacement

Post by Serious Satellite » Wed May 28, 2008 7:44 pm

74rr400 wrote:the way i have my car is considered day 2. headers, shackles, cragar s/s's, holley carb, cobra cb with a general lee style antenna on the deck lid!! the car has worn the cragars since it was 2 weeks old. they have been on the car so long i dont think it would look right without them
Day 2. . . . . :beer:

patrick
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1973 Road Runner 440/4 speed

Post by patrick » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:55 pm

I think the '73-74 cars are generic enough to warrant the Camaro-esque customizing prevalent on the cover of any random issue of Car Craft. Check out this guy's '73:

http://www.riversidemnf.com/roadrunner.htm

Personally, I like to keep my mods to a minimum (Day 2, as it were):

Interior: OEM, except I have an OEM style carbon-fiber four-speed grip and that's about it
Exterior: OEM paint/body, and additions only if they were available (although incorrect for the car at hand): Go-Wings, eye-brow spoilers, Hi-Impact paints, etc. This does not go for wheels/tires. I think one should put whatever aftermarket wheels one wants of any size, etc. I hate the look of small skinny white wall OEM-sized tires on stock wheels because it doesn't look like a muscle car
Engine: As long as it's Mopar, do what you want!
100% Death Proof

Serious Satellite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1973 Plymouth Roadrunner (R.I.P.) totalled by my younger brother
1974 Plymouth Satellite Coupe (R.I.P.) sold to my other brother, died an ignoble death
1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring (Rusted In Place) sent to crusher
1984 Dodge Ram Prospector D250, 360 ci engine, hooker headers, edelbrock 4 barrel carb, 1991 grill replacement

Post by Serious Satellite » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:40 pm

Yeah, I like the idea of modifying with Mopar seventies related styles and ideas from other Mopar cars. Heck, the 73/74 Sattys/Roadrunners share the same window space as the Chargers.. .and their interiors, drive train, etc.

I don't really like what the guy has done with the front end of the lime green resto posted above. . .it's a bit too different, and doesn't seem to respect the lines of the original grill. . .

landon1
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring

Post by landon1 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:18 pm

don't like too much of that car, but ATTN: ERIC AND DAVE!!! Is that what the astratone (argent silver) interior trim should look like? i've been wondering how it would look and that seems to be pretty sweet. granted, i have the standard cluster, but i bet with black and aluminum hilites, it would look sweet

dragman440
Road Runner (RM)

Post by dragman440 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:39 am

Looks like a cool car to me. 8)

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:34 am

I dont see a thing :shock:
"Sunny D"-1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring With Sundance Packaging

72Rdrnner
GTX (RS)

Post by 72Rdrnner » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:58 pm

Serious Satellite wrote:I don't know of anybody back in the day that kept their Mopar car factory. We all changed 'em to our specs. Whether it was a different sound system, jackin' up the back end, wheels and tires, different shifter kits, different paint jobs, shag carpet instead of the nylon loop. . .we changed a lot on 'em. If we didn't like 'em, we dove into 'em and made them ours.

The only guy I knew that kept his car factory was a young man who was . . .. .slow to put it kindly. He had a Gold Duster and it left him as it came, straight stock from factory. But this was the kind of guy that would accidentally shift into reverse while driving. . .

I guess that's what bothers me the most. . .remembering how we did it back then and listening to the Mopar purists now. . .
I must be one of the"slow" ones. Despite managing to spend 39 years and 27,000 hours flying airplanes for the USAF and Delta Air Lines and retiring with the takeoffs and landings numbers equal!

I kept my 72 Road Runner pretty much stock after I bought it new in 1972! Only change was to US Indy Mag wheels when I put the stock RR wheels on a boat trailer to replace the 14 inch wheels that came with it.

When I restored the Bird in 2003-2006 I changed little except for dressing up the engine, new manifold, carb, headers and a Sanden compressor to replace the factory one.

Everything else is pretty much as she rolled down the assembly line at St. Louis, and in fact 99% of what's on the car now, was put on the car back then.

Bottom line...it's all individual preference. There is no "one size fits all", no "cool" vs "slow", just individuals!

Righteous One Owner '72 Roadrunner

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:15 pm

Bottom line...it's all individual preference. There is no "one size fits all", no "cool" vs "slow", just individuals![/quote]

I agree,but the majority of mopar owners do think that way,which makes that thought more popular.
"Sunny D"-1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring With Sundance Packaging

rr6pak
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Tor-Red RR

car

Post by rr6pak » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:27 am

72Rdrnner wrote:
I must be one of the"slow" ones. Despite managing to spend 39 years and 27,000 hours flying airplanes for the USAF and Delta Air Lines and retiring with the takeoffs and landings numbers equal!

I kept my 72 Road Runner pretty much stock after I bought it new in 1972! Only change was to US Indy Mag wheels when I put the stock RR wheels on a boat trailer to replace the 14 inch wheels that came with it.

When I restored the Bird in 2003-2006 I changed little except for dressing up the engine, new manifold, carb, headers and a Sanden compressor to replace the factory one.

Everything else is pretty much as she rolled down the assembly line at St. Louis, and in fact 99% of what's on the car now, was put on the car back then.

Bottom line...it's all individual preference. There is no "one size fits all", no "cool" vs "slow", just individuals!
Nicely stated, 72Rdrnner :)