Newer "Mopars"

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

aerodynamic
GTX (RS)

Post by aerodynamic » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:22 am

You wouldn't want this first (overpriced) production round of cars anyway. It'll be full of bugs and defects and have a big list of TSBs. New models always do.
73 Road Runner 400 auto

patrick
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1973 Road Runner 440/4 speed

Post by patrick » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:01 am

Not to sound like Miss South Carolina, but I personally believe that the term "muscle car" is reserved for the cars of the '60s and '70s, and the new Dodge Challenger is just a modern replica, which is neither good or bad, it depends on you. I mean, if we really want to compare like things, I would say the kid today with his Scion tC buying a fluorescent light kid and maybe a K&N filter is no different than when I bought a 4BBL and thermoquad for my '72 318 Charger back in the '80s. Which is cooler? Well, to us, the Mopar obviously. But getting the kid with the tC to get into an old Mopar and like it, especially with all the modern conveniences and amenities would be like my grandpa trying to make me look at the Street Rods and get into that genre. So yeah, I kinda think we like them so much because we grew up on them, or got laid in them, or at least remember making out in them, just like my neighbor, a military man, enjoys filipino women because he met his first true love overseas. Would I personally get a Challenger? Probably, maybe, I do like it. But why not just put the money savd into my '73 Road Runner, and get something cheap (read: Kia Rio or smart car) for day-to-day transport.
100% Death Proof

billzilla

Post by billzilla » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:04 pm

I don't agree. A modern musclecar is simply that - a recently made musclecar. For example - you'd be hard pressed to tell enthusiasts of 5.0L Fox body Mustangs that their 80's thru 90's five-ohs aren't 'real musclecars' or somehow pale replicas of the past.

I remember a lot of folks saying the mid-80's Grand Nationals and T-Types weren't real musclecars back when they were new... Yet they quickly became the terror of my local track. What else were they, if not muscle?

I just got done reading a big writeup on the new Pontiac G8. If I can get decent employment within the next few months, I might even look at one of those at some point - I love Holdens and the Commodore looks to flesh out that car nicely. 361hp, 15/24mpg and BMW-rivaling performance for a smidge under $30K MSRP is nothing to sneeze at. In fact, it makes a very strong case that GM, Chrysler and Ford have revived the American (and Aussie) musclecar.

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:07 pm

See thats whats messed,people decide if its a "muscle car"by what it has under the hood.

i think theres more to a car then what powers it and how it looks.
depending on the driver,theres alot more to it.
"Sunny D"-1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring With Sundance Packaging

dartomotive
Road Runner (RM)

Newer Mopars

Post by dartomotive » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:46 pm

Newer Mopars will always be a subject of discussion. But I have this to offer. I was 10 years old in 1970. My son is now 10 years old. He loves the new Challenger. Nuff said.

They do need a secretary special V6 in '09 model year, that's august. I'm sure we'll see that and a lower Hp small block. In 70 the Hemis and six paks were a small percentage.

As far as alternate gas goes. You guys are right, it's coming. We thought un'leaded was a terror back then, but we learned to modify the motors with hardened bronze valve seats. 85% ethanol 15% gas is on the horizon. A recent article I read tells how to do it, and the 74 Charger actually picked up ET and MPH in the 1/4. As with any alcohol based fuel it's a higher fuel % in air. You adjust, carb and fuel delivery. Dartomotive (Mike)

billzilla

Post by billzilla » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:11 am

Actually I read that they are indeed producing a V6 Challenger as well as a lower output V8 R/T model as opposed to the SRT8.

My only problem with ethanol is what it's doing to our farm industry, the price of food and that it takes more than the equivalent of a gallon of fuel to produce a gallon of ethanol. I still say that's a fair price to relieve our dependence on OPEC and the oil market speculators jacking up the price.

bandman

Post by bandman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:15 am

I just checked out the official unveiling on their website.

Wow.... the unveiling was cheesy, but the Blue 6 cylinder with 250hp was very sexy. And the two choices for hemi are also very nice.

If you haven't checked out the video you should.

http://www.dodge.com/en/2009/challenger/

Just click on the unveiling at the bottom that has a white challenger (vanishing point?)in the picture.

I can see myself buying one in 2 or 3 years. The 6 cylinder (SE) would be great for my family, and much less than 30G. A nice cross country cruiser, and my RR will be the serious ashault eating cruiser.

ryangtogtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 GTX

Post by ryangtogtx » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:22 pm

If you guys took the time to look at Dodge's website, you would see that they are offering a 3.5 V6 SE model, a 5.7 V8 R/T model and the 6.1 V8 SRT. A manual transmission is available for 2009. Our Dodge rep said that they will be building as many '09's as they can sell, so I doubt there will be a markup above the MSRP. If anyone wants to order one, let me know. I can get you a price on an '09 when pricing is released. The vehicle can be shipped directly to the dealer closest to you or picked up at our dealership in Cumberland, WI.

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:29 pm

So far its about what whats under the hood..

thats sad :(

ryangtogtx
GTX (RS)

Post by ryangtogtx » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:00 pm

Smellslike1974 wrote:So far its about what whats under the hood..

What are you talking about????

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:10 pm

ryangtogtx wrote:
Smellslike1974 wrote:So far its about what whats under the hood..

What are you talking about????
With the new challenger acouple of you guys are concerned about what its gonna be powerd by.Is it that big of a deal? :beer:

ryangtogtx
GTX (RS)

Post by ryangtogtx » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:16 pm

When you're buying a "performance oriented" car, then yes, what's under the hood is important. That is why they are called muscle cars. The "muscle" is under the hood, not sitting in the front seat.

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:03 pm

Okay then,you just proved my point,lol

74rr400
Road Runner (RM)

Post by 74rr400 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:37 pm

i think it will be a great car for jumping in and driving to wherever on vacation as opposed to taking the old car that you will more than likely need to fix at one point or another on the trip and still having the musclecar vibe. nothing will replace the "original" musclecars but long distance runs in them can get brutal. i personally think that is half the fun of an "original" musclecar. its the adventure. some like it, some don't. to each there own. now there is an option for both. i will stick to the original even though i wasnt around when they were new!!

landon1
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring

Post by landon1 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:40 pm

yeah, i think we all assumed there would be a v6 and a smaller v8, BUT not this year...the 08s are already booked, and the ones that aren't are, in fact being marked up to 60K and more.

it is a nce lookin car, but it's so damn BIG...

FWIW...dodge also tried saying that the SRT-4 is a muscle car...i'm sorry, but no