New to the board... Hi

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

71SpecialOrder

New to the board... Hi

Post by 71SpecialOrder » Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:08 am

Hello all,

I am new to this board. I frequent Moparts.com and I found this board reading one of the post on that board.

A little info on myself. I love Mopars but I do appreciate all brands.

I own a 87 Ramcharger, 77 Volare w/440 and 727, 91 Hond Civic, and my most recent purchase 1971 Plymouth Road Runner.

The fender tag says it was a B5 383 auto car with White vinyl top, white interior with TX9, consel, power windows, power steering, power disk brakes, am/fm, air conditioning, and so on.

I would like some opinions please. I am going to restore this car.
Would you restore it like the fender tag says? Or restore it with any color\motor\option combo???

Thanks,

Jeff

71SpecialOrder

Post by 71SpecialOrder » Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:59 pm

Did I say something wrong?? :D 17 views with no reply?? :(

1972RM23
GTX (RS)

Post by 1972RM23 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:02 pm

I would save restore it the way it once was. You can find a better combination the B5 and white bucket interior. The white full vinyl top would look great with B5 but I'm not a fan of Plymouth full vinyl tops on 71-72's. Canopy vinyl tops on Plymouths are the coolest and Charger full and canopy top are also great. I just never liked the way the full vinyl top on 71-72 Road Runners sits, it doesn't flow and terminate well. I personally like original cars and your has rare options and a very desireable color combination. When I was looking for my 1972 Road Runner I was looking for an original EV2 Tor-Red, N96 Air Grabber, canopy vinyl top and white bucket seat car. Well I found one that was originaly almost all of those options because it was what I was looking for. It might not have been as appealing if it wasn't original. That being said ....really it's your car feel free to do what ever you want.
Steve
1972 Road Runner N96 EV2

71SpecialOrder

Post by 71SpecialOrder » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:37 pm

Thanks for your reply. It was a canopy vinyl top. I just could not remember what it was called. I do like the canopy tops better. I don't much like the way a full vinyl top looks.

It is so much fun collecting all the parts for the restore. I spend hours on ebay just looking for all the parts. Probably going to go with Legendary Interior.

On a white interior car, does anyone know what color the kick panels should be. A budy of mine thinks they should be black but I thought they should be white?? Any input is appreciated

Jeff

oldyeller73

Post by oldyeller73 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:12 pm

WoW!! Awesome cars man!! I have a 73 with white interior and the panels are white, but i have no idea about the 71 maybe the same i don't know.About the motor if the original one is in it,i would do some inside work on it (hint maybe stroke it) :D Sounds like it's gonna be an awesome car man,keep us posted with pics :D Welcome here i'm from Moparts too,and the Scatpack! Image

71383bee

Post by 71383bee » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:39 am

The kick panels as well as the door panels and rear seat side panels should all be the same colorto be correct. I think the combo you have will look real good as is. Ultimately it's your car. On a personal side i like to restore the exterior/interior as close to original as possible and then throw in a few extras to personalize it. Like put in a slapstick or stock tach or sunroof...

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

My Vote

Post by Dave » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:17 am

Hi.

Looks like a neat car. I voted for "Make it whatever you like", simply because that's what I'm doing with Project Bluebird. If the #'s matching motor is gone, I personally wouldn't feel guilty about building it how you want. If what you want to change is color or motor related, it's not that complex to someday put it back to the way it came from the factory.

Either way you go with it, it looks like you have a nice solid starting point, and a well optioned car to boot. :)
Dave
Founder - The Road Runner Nest

71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

71SpecialOrder

Post by 71SpecialOrder » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:52 pm

Thanks for the replies all. The #'s matching motor is gone. So I guess I can do with it as I please. I think it would be neat to see the white canopy top B5 blue (even though it seems to be a popular color at this moment) and white interior car.

I really have a weakness for a certain color though. I saw a picture in the image gallery if a 71 that had a black canopy top on a grey car with black interior. Tough!!! http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3409/ that is the car I really like.

Jeff