Just bought a 71 SSP!

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

Just bought a 71 SSP!

Post by Dave » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:19 am

Well, in the spirit of always feeling like I have to bring home every 71 I see, I'll be picking up my latest addition this weekend. I bought a nice 71 SSP, factory 383-2bbl/Auto car. It's really pretty clean, and I think I can have it running in about an afternoon's worth of work. I found it on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2466627109

I'll have more pictures when I get it home and cleaned up a bit. Depending on how things go, I might drive it to the Chrysler Classic in May.
Dave
Founder - The Road Runner Nest

71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)

6o4o
Road Runner (RM)

Re: Just bought a 71 SSP!

Post by 6o4o » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:14 pm

Looks really nice for this price, congratulations! just the parts are more worth that this price you paid for it... have fun! ;)
72 RR GTX, No. matching 440, 68 727, body TX9, B5 interior, got doorsticker, but no buildsheet
72 Satellite 318-Auto, all No.matching, with buildsheet

Both cars tasting now swiss cheese ;)

Dave
Site Admin

SSP

Post by Dave » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:37 pm

Yea, it really isn't in bad shape at all. There are a few parts on it that I know are going to find thier way on the Road Runner and be replaced later. ;) I'm planning on giving it a day or two of TLC and just driving it while I finish the Road Runner. It will be nice to have a 71 I can drive again. It's really been quite a while.
Dave

DixieSatellite
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)

Re: SSP

Post by DixieSatellite » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:48 am

bbeep71 wrote:Yea, it really isn't in bad shape at all. There are a few parts on it that I know are going to find thier way on the Road Runner and be replaced later. ;) I'm planning on giving it a day or two of TLC and just driving it while I finish the Road Runner. It will be nice to have a 71 I can drive again. It's really been quite a while.
:)

Good to see that you bought it. I had a split second shock of my life as I saw it on eBay too - it looks very similar to my car, as does the garage where it is stored in the pic. I thought my father-in-law had gotten sick of storing it and was selling it on eBay while I am away working :shock:

Of course 0.5 seconds later I realised it was 1/ not my car and 2/ a totally different location.... :oops: Looks like a nice car tho.

As for my SSP - engine rebuild over the Summer and paint / body quote. Getting closer....

Ian B.
'72 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus 400-4BBL

1972RM23
GTX (RS)

Post by 1972RM23 » Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:42 am

Sweet find Dave .....I would love to own more than one 71-72 Plymouth but only have garage space for one. Note to self "the next house I buy must have a six car garage instead of a three car garage"! I bet I'm not alone in saying that I would own 2,3,4 or more Mopars if I only had space to keep them.
Anyway; great looking car and looks to be in really good shape to get back on the road quickly. It amazes me that there still are cars tucked away in garages after all these years.
Post some pictures of it when you get it home and clean it up.
Steve
1972 Road Runner N96 EV2

71383bee

Post by 71383bee » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:17 pm

Cool. I remeber looking at that one myself. So what else is wrong with it besides what is shown in the pictures? The ebay article makes it look almost like a turn key car.

Dave
Site Admin

It's Home!

Post by Dave » Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:09 pm

Well, went and got the SSP today. Spent a few minutes playing with it, and got it to fire up, so I was able to drive it on the trailer! :D Plus, it meant that I could unload it on the side street, and not have to tie up traffic trying to back the trailer into our driveway. It is actually better than I thought in some places, and a little worse in others, but overall I'm quite happy with it. Here are some pictures:

Home, on the side street where we unloaded

Lynne snapped this shot as I drove by from the side street up to the driveway.

Home safe and sound.

Here are the detail shots of the "bad" on the car...

Oh, and how about THIS trunk floor? :shock: :D That black is just the backing from the original trunk mat!

I did slide under and check, and it IS #'s matching. So I wound up picking up a running and driveable, fairly solid #'s matching big block Satellite for $3300! Life is great!
Dave

Eric
Site Admin

Good find

Post by Eric » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:52 am

Looks like a great buy Dave! It's hard to find a car that solid here in Ohio. You'll have to bring it down for the Classic.
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

71383bee

Post by 71383bee » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:04 am

Nice find dave. It did look like a decent car for the auction. I love those rims on these cars! Say if your willing to part with them... :wink:

oldyeller73

Post by oldyeller73 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:06 pm

WoW!! Nice score man i would love something like that!!! 71 is one of my favs!!ImageImage

71SpecialOrder

Post by 71SpecialOrder » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:07 pm

Great find. I would love to have a driver like that also. Love that trunk!! :)

Jeff

Iceman01

Post by Iceman01 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:55 am

Love to see them unmolested survivors! No matter what you do with it, looks like you made out well.

Also good to see outside validation of the deal (steal) I got last fall on my 71 SSP ($2500). http://web.acsalaska.net/~iceman/

1971SSP
GTX (RS)

71 SSP

Post by 1971SSP » Mon May 03, 2004 2:34 am

Its so odd seeing a WHITE 71, it looks very cool. Are you driving it yet? I think you said you plan to use it as a driver. I think the road wheels look great on 71/72's.

I see the bottom where the long trim is gone below the doors. I have that trim on my car, is there a name for that trim? They look great, but I hate that they are water savers.

Again nice find, and enjoy the hell out of it.
Brian
1971 Satellite Sebring Plus

Dave
Site Admin

It's on the road

Post by Dave » Mon May 03, 2004 11:24 am

Brian,

Yea, I've driven it a little bit. Weather hasn't been too cooperative, but there have been a couple nice days that I've had the time to get it out. It has a few issues just from sitting, but after a good tune up and some TLC, it runs like a top, and really rides nice.

Yea, white isn't a really common color on the 71s, but it's starting to grow on me, and Bruce really likes it for some reason. ;)

Dave
Dave