1972 Road Runner/GTX restoration

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner/GTX
1972 Satellite Sebring
1972 Satellite Sebring(big block parts car)

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:20 pm

Nick, it's my full intention to drive this car when completed. May only be on weekends, during the three months out of the year it's not raining here. Doug
Last edited by 72RoadRunnerGTX on Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RS23-71
GTX (RS)

Post by RS23-71 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:15 pm

Wow 8)

mopar71
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 roadrunner

Post by mopar71 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:45 am

Awsome Car! My question would be if dipping the car (E_Coating) ever come to mind? 8)
MOPAR (Move Over Plymouth Approching Rapidly)

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
1972 Satellite Sebring

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:35 am

A little more progress, shot of floor/firewall after being Lizard Skinned
Roof
New Moser Dana 60 in place with new Mopar Performance XHD springs
Fresh paint
The motor mostly complete and in place (Updated 1/18/2008)
Last edited by 72RoadRunnerGTX on Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:34 pm, edited 7 times in total.

rav440
GTX (RS)

Post by rav440 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:52 am

nice job :beer:
how much was milled off of the 440 deck ? .060 ? what pistons are those ? did you mave the alumi heads milled also on the intake surface also ? if not how did intake line up ?
the reason i ask is it looks about the same as my block , and most likely ill be going with alumi heads also .

thanks RANDY

:beer:

1973 Plymouth road runner / GTX 440 "U" code #matching 1 of 117 built RAVS road runner

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:11 am

forgive the dumb question, but what is lizard skin???
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

plyss71
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by plyss71 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:11 am

I was wondering the same thing, Eric. Please enlighten us. Very nice car btw.

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
1972 Satellite Sebring

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:23 pm

Lizard Skin ( http://www.lizardskin.com/ ) is a trade name for a spray on insulation products. I used two different formulas on this car, first was their SC (sound control) applied to the floor pans and firewall. The CI (Ceramic Insulation- more thermal than sound) product went on the underside of the roof and over the top of the SC on the floors, firewall, and under the plenum chamber. It was kind of an afterthought, my paint guy spent a bit of time on those floor pans/firewall.

No deck work needed for this block, bores are .020 over with Keith Black pistons (KB-236), Eagle H-beam rods, 8-bolt crank and fluid dampener from 440 Source.com. Edelbrock 88cc Performer RPM heads, cam is a MP restoration six-pack grid (a reissue of the original 3-bolt cam I believe). Compression ratio should be right around 10.2:1.
Last edited by 72RoadRunnerGTX on Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rav440
GTX (RS)

Post by rav440 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:51 pm

72RoadRunnerGTX wrote:.

No deck work needed for this block, bores are .020 over with Keith Black pistons (KB-236), Eagle H-beam rods, 8-bolt crank and fluid dampener from 440 Source.com. Edelbrock 88cc Performer RPM heads, cam is a MP restoration six-pack grid (a reissue of the original 3-bolt cam I believe). Compression ratio should be right around 10:1.
are the KB pistons taller than factory ? i thought the pistons should be about .080 in the hole ?

1973 Plymouth road runner / GTX 440 "U" code #matching 1 of 117 built RAVS road runner

72Rdrnner
GTX (RS)

Post by 72Rdrnner » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:32 am

I see the car had air conditioning, are you going to do an upgrade to a Sanden compressor? I did, getting it and the hoses from Classic Auto Air in Tampa. Pleased with the products as well as their tech support.

Here's a pix of the compressor and the nifty little rear mount I got for it. Simple little piece of steel that bolts into the head. The front mount is the stock one.
Attachments
Compressor Mount.JPG
Compressor Mount.JPG (28.55 KiB) Viewed 20445 times

Righteous One Owner '72 Roadrunner

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
1972 Satellite Sebring

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:59 pm

72Rdrnner,
As a mater of fact I just placed an order with Bouchillon Performance for a Sanden compressor and some of their reproduction factory A/C bracket components. When the project gets a little further down the road I plan to complete the A/C system. It was a bit of a struggle to figure out what the original bracket/pulley configuration was and would it all fit under the six pack air cleaner. This car and the big block donor car were A/C equipped, but under hood components went MIA long ago. Would love to see any shots you may have of the bracket/pulley/belt configuration on your original big block-A/C. Doug.

72Rdrnner
GTX (RS)

Post by 72Rdrnner » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:48 pm

72RoadRunnerGTX wrote:72Rdrnner,
As a mater of fact I just placed an order with Bouchillon Performance for a Sanden compressor and some of their reproduction factory A/C bracket components. When the project gets a little further down the road I plan to complete the A/C system. It was a bit of a struggle to figure out what the original bracket/pulley configuration was and would it all fit under the six pack air cleaner. This car and the big block donor car were A/C equipped, but under hood components went MIA long ago. Would love to see any shots you may have of the bracket/pulley/belt configuration on your original big block-A/C. Doug.
Air conditioning was not an option with the six pack because the factor V twin compressor would not fit on the engine due to interfereince with the front carb.

The system I have eliminated the stock 440 rear compressor mount, and instead relies only on the small mounting block. It has a recessed socket head cap screw that fastenes into the factory threaded hole in the head. This mounting block has a threaded hole in the font end which is where the lower outer mounting tab of the compressor is mounted.

The front bracket is just a stock factory air conditoning compressor for a 440 4bbl engine. The two belts than run the compressor are the same ones that run the alternator and are the same as with the stock compressor. The alternator is used to tension them as the compressor has no adjustment capablility.

The power steering has its own belt and the water pump uses a belt with a idler pulley to tension it.

Here's a couple of pictures of the engine with the stock compressor mounted. As you can see there is a brace that goes from the back of the compressor to one of the intake maniford blolts. Since I used an Edelbrock high rise manifold I had to modify it in order to make it fit. With the six pack manifold the V twin will just not fit.

The other picture shows all the mounting brackets for the various accessorites. They are all stock brackets which I powdercoated.

Later I decided to convert to a Sanden compressor. Like I said it uses the stock front monunt as well as the same belt configuration.

I used the stock connectors to the evaporator. I installed a Mopar Performance (MSD 6A) unit on the firewall and the stock connectors worked perfectly as they just "wrapped around" it. I sent Classic Auto Air the stock connectors and they made up hoses attached to them that matched up with the Sanden unit. My first pix shows that.

They also "rebuilt" the receiver/dryer by cutting it open and putting a new sack in it. That way the system, except for the compressor looks pretty much stock. There is a little bit of a change on the hose to the condensor as I put a new one in since the old one had a cracked tube. It was easier to just put a new one in that try and repair the old one.

Overall I happy with the entire system. It gets really hot and humid down her but I can blow chunks of ice out the vents with no engine overheating problems.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
Engine accessory mounts.JPG
Engine accessory mounts.JPG (48.27 KiB) Viewed 20345 times
Engine Accessories.JPG
Engine Accessories.JPG (54.58 KiB) Viewed 20367 times

Righteous One Owner '72 Roadrunner

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
1972 Satellite Sebring

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:04 pm

72Rdrnner,
Thanks for posting your photos; they have confirmed how I believed the configuration was originally. The Bouchillon Performance brackets I'm using appear to be very close to what you have. Compressor mounts differently at its rear mounting and may sit a little lower than yours. I had to alter the bracket kits spacer configuration slightly to clear the Edelbrock heads. As can be seen, it does clear the six-pack air cleaner base. Hopefully there won't be an issue with the Air Box. The Bouchillon Performance set up has the water pump sharing the P/S belt on the third grove of the crank pulley, omitting the idler pulley and a forth belt altogether. I plan to run with it like that unless a problem arises later.

Last edited by 72RoadRunnerGTX on Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

rr6pak
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Tor-Red RR

compressor

Post by rr6pak » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:45 pm

Hey 72 Rdrunner and 72RoadRunnerGTX:

All I can say is WOW! :beer:

I plan on running bouchillon Performance compressor as well, when I'm ready. I work on Sanden compressors atn work and they are GREAT!

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:13 am

That car Is so damn clean :shock:
"Sunny D"-1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring With Sundance Packaging