Guys I have a major life decision... I need input

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

rr724ever

Guys I have a major life decision... I need input

Post by rr724ever » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:37 pm

I know you should NEVER buy a car based on pictures (my Dad taught me that) but...

I cant stop thinking about this car:

Auction Link

So close our to old road runner...

Here is what attracts me to it:

1. Already Tawny Gold Metallic... No need to repaint - just some small body work to remove that GAWDAWFUL side stripe - and the luggage rack
(although I may need it when my girlfriend throws me out for this)

2. He says it's clean in the ad...

3. I can drive it today, and worry about changing it tomorrow...
(that 318 would have to go, as would the standard dash with a rally in it's place - and the hood, but that can happen later... As in, I could keep it as is and enjoy it now.)

Here is what concerns me:

4. I'd have to get a loan to buy it

5. It's in FLA and I'm in MD

6. I'm worried about storage

7. Potential family conficts... but sometimes you need to follow your dreams

Thanks

jeff tatem

Post by jeff tatem » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:10 pm

i say ......GO FOR IT !!!!!!!......i wish i could even get a loan to buy some of the mopars around here ......just sucks that most of em are for sale but this is me with no money to buy em :(

CrAlt

Post by CrAlt » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:52 pm

Step back and think.. do you know what the reserve is set at?
Up for auction is a 1972 Satellite Sebring that was always garaged kept. This car is all original with the original seats, radio,luggage rack, emblems and trim. It has a 318 engine that runs very smooth and the transmission shifts effortlessly. The car will need new carpet, and the dash has some cracks that will need repairing. The millage is low due to the original owner being handicaped.

Vehicle Condition

This is a solid two owner car that runs excellent with the original seats, radio,glass and chrome all in great condition. This car also has a new headliner and a new vinyl top. It is rust free car that has no known problems.
There are no pics of the floors/trunkfloor. No pics of the frame rails..infact no close up pics of ANY of the problem mopar areas. I'd hold off on this one unless you go and look at it in person.

AND its not even a real RR...

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

My thoughts...

Post by Dave » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:16 am

I went through a similar thought process a couple years ago. I kicked around getting a loan to buy a nice driveable show car while I was working on getting things ready to do Project Blue Bird. I shopped a little bit and then realized that I I was going to start making payments for a classic car, why not take the loan dollars and just DO the Road Runner. That's the path I took. I made the decision that if I was going to be making payments, it might as well be for what I REALLY want, not something that is close.

My recommendation is, why not wait until you find a 72 Road Runner, which is what you are really looking for, and take the loan and everything to get it. Heck, there were a couple I just posted in the last day or two in the eBay of the Day forum. Sure, the Satellite looks like a nice car, and I do love Satellites (I've got my eye on a 71 SSP right now that I might pick up), but it really sounds like you are similar to myself, you want one with a real RM23 VIN.
Dave
Founder - The Road Runner Nest

71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)

rr724ever

Re: My thoughts...

Post by rr724ever » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:28 pm

bbeep71 wrote:I went through a similar thought process a couple years ago. I kicked around getting a loan to buy a nice driveable show car while I was working on getting things ready to do Project Blue Bird. I shopped a little bit and then realized that I I was going to start making payments for a classic car, why not take the loan dollars and just DO the Road Runner. That's the path I took. I made the decision that if I was going to be making payments, it might as well be for what I REALLY want, not something that is close.

My recommendation is, why not wait until you find a 72 Road Runner, which is what you are really looking for, and take the loan and everything to get it. Heck, there were a couple I just posted in the last day or two in the eBay of the Day forum. Sure, the Satellite looks like a nice car, and I do love Satellites (I've got my eye on a 71 SSP right now that I might pick up), but it really sounds like you are similar to myself, you want one with a real RM23 VIN.
I knew I could turn to you guys for support and wisdom... Yes, I let this one go (although it HURT :( ) Getting a loan for a classic car made me nervous.

Honestly, you are all right... I don't know if I would truely feel satisfied with a Satellite that's pretending to be a RR....

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)

Re: My thoughts...

Post by Dave » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:26 pm

rr724ever wrote:I knew I could turn to you guys for support and wisdom... Yes, I let this one go (although it HURT :( ) Getting a loan for a classic car made me nervous.

Honestly, you are all right... I don't know if I would truely feel satisfied with a Satellite that's pretending to be a RR....
I totally understand that pain of letting one go. I've had to pass on quite a few over the years, that I would have loved to have picked up, but it just wasn't the right timing or whatever. Trust me, if you take your time, you WILL find the right car.

A point on the loan, I understand your worry about getting a loan secured by a classic. I obviously don't know your entire financial position, but what worked for me was to simply take a personal loan from the bank. Interest rate wasn't too bad (much better than a credit card), plus the Road Runner wasn't used as security on the loan. It might be worth looking into that. Though just remember, don't over extend yourself on payments or whatever. ;)
Dave
Founder - The Road Runner Nest

71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)

JosephGiannini
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 roadrunner 340 4 barrel with 727

Hey Man!

Post by JosephGiannini » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:41 am

I know you should NEVER buy a car based on pictures (my Dad taught me that) but...
Response: you should use the pictures as a starting point for questions and also remember to have the car go through an inspection at a place like pepboys. Also not a bad idea to ask the guy to make a wav or mp3 file of the engine or to have you hear the engine on the phone you can diagnose most engine noises and tell if there is major damage to the engine and trans. Also make sure you have panoramic pics of everything trunk, cabin, engine bay and undercarriage.

I cant stop thinking about this car:

Auction Link

So close our to old road runner...

Here is what attracts me to it:

1. Already Tawny Gold Metallic... No need to repaint - just some small body work to remove that GAWDAWFUL side stripe - and the luggage rack
(although I may need it when my girlfriend throws me out for this)
Response: if you have the money for it and can finance this than your
girfriend should support you if she doesnt she really isnt your friend.

2. He says it's clean in the ad...

3. I can drive it today, and worry about changing it tomorrow...
(that 318 would have to go, as would the standard dash with a rally in it's place - and the hood, but that can happen later... As in, I could keep it as is and enjoy it now.)
Response: You can keep the 318 just have to do a little work to it. I would put on the a timing setup from a 340 on it since the 318 uses nylon timing gears. put in a 340 pan with windage tray port the heads and use a 340 intake manifold. And a 727 trans with a 340 flex plate.

Here is what concerns me:

4. I'd have to get a loan to buy it
Response: Can you afford it easily?

5. It's in FLA and I'm in MD
Response:The bus works if it is titled and registered. I am in MD too

6. I'm worried about storage
Response: Why a driveway works?

7. Potential family conficts... but sometimes you need to follow your dreams
Response: 1 it is a straight hobby not like drinking or somehting that will hurt you 2 you can largely increase your investment in the vehicle 3 Again if they dont support you. then perhaps they dont understand you fully.