Anyone looking for one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-Ply ... 8839QQrdZ1

From our neighbors to the north.

mopar71
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 roadrunner

Post by mopar71 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:17 am

Let the bidding begin!!
MOPAR (Move Over Plymouth Approching Rapidly)

72Rdrnner
GTX (RS)

Post by 72Rdrnner » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:15 am

Last time I saw a complete 1972 grille on eBay it went for over $1500 if I remember correctly. Ouch! Glad mine was all there and all in excellent shape!

Righteous One Owner '72 Roadrunner

JosephGiannini
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 roadrunner 340 4 barrel with 727

Post by JosephGiannini » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:53 pm

On average for a NOS 1972 roadrunner grille.
I have seen them go for 2500 and higher
I own a 340 850hp Dick landy industries spec engine god rest his soul.
A Mopar god Is dead.
1972 roadrunner.

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Re: 72 grill

Post by moparmike » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:00 pm

I recently bought a 72 Satellite Sebring Plus and in the trunk is a complete roadrunner grill including the honeycomb insert and badges. Am I sitting on found gold?

Mike
Sometimes I get to feeling that if Xmas, Fathers Day and my Birthday did not exist, then aftershave too would not exist.

72Rdrnner
GTX (RS)

Post by 72Rdrnner » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:02 pm

moparmike wrote:I recently bought a 72 Satellite Sebring Plus and in the trunk is a complete roadrunner grill including the honeycomb insert and badges. Am I sitting on found gold?

Mike
Depends...a lot of the "grille" is the brackets, screws, washers and knowing how to put it together. If you have the "basic parts" (left, right and center section, & honeycomb) you have something valuable! Having all the rest is a gold mine! Remember the Satelitte grill mounting will NOT work with the Road Runner grille.

For example here's a pix of the "hardware"

As you can see a lot more to it than the four main pieces.

72 RR fan
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner 440 auto
1971 Road Runner 383 4spd

Post by 72 RR fan » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:06 am

That would be a great find!!!!!! Good luck with it!!
I got couple of questions about these grilles:

1) Is anyone ever going to repro them? Ant word on that?

2) Kinda most importantly..someone spray painted mine flat black...It really looks like sh**. What kind, and where would I get restoration correct color / type paint for it? Anybody know, or got a link to a page?

---Love the Petty Blue RR...one of my all time favorites!!!!!!!!
"Did I just buy another car?!?"

72Rdrnner
GTX (RS)

Post by 72Rdrnner » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:39 am

72 RR fan wrote:
1) Is anyone ever going to repro them? Ant word on that?
My best guess...no. Sadly the '72 grill is (a) unique and (b) the '72 production run was very small relative to other years. Hence, few around, low demand. The cost of tooling up a reproduction would be high, and the return just due to the small numbers of demand would probably not justify the cost.
72 RR fan wrote:
2) Kinda most importantly..someone spray painted mine flat black...It really looks like sh**. What kind, and where would I get restoration correct color / type paint for it? Anybody know, or got a link to a page?
I had some mixed by my Dupont supplier. Let me go dig out the can and maybe I can find out what they called it. I do remember one of the colors I used for something was a Maserati color. I'll get back when I find the stuff I used. I can't vouch for the "officialness" of it when it comes to the restoration purist, but it looks pretty good to me, and that's what counts! Next to the car being a "chick magnet"! (older chicks that is!)

Here's a cople of pix of the finished grill...you decide if its the "correct" color! (FYI the grille is the original one, and has what I call "speed warping" from all the time spent at high speed with the air flowing over and UNDER it!

72 RR fan wrote:
---Love the Petty Blue RR...one of my all time favorites!!!!!!!!
Thanks...now for the real trivia. What was the "official" Mopar color designation? The one they put in the sales brochure?

FYI the "kitty litter" under the front has nothing to do with a cat! I got carried away when I filled the radiator and like is supposed to happen, it "adjusts" to the proper level by blowing the extra overboard! My car has no "burp can".....just the "hose to the floor"!

72 RR fan
GTX (RS)

Post by 72 RR fan » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:48 am

---Love the Petty Blue RR...one of my all time favorites!!!!!!!![/quote]

Thanks...now for the real trivia. What was the "official" Mopar color designation? The one they put in the sales brochure?

Basin Street Blue...I just like the slang :)

Thanks for the tips on grille color. It'll be while before I tear my car down, but any info I gather now is gold. I thought the same thing about reproduction grilles. They'd have sell for $$$ retail in order to tool up molds and such. :(

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:01 pm

Yes I have all the mounting hardware and the roadrunner grill emblem. True story... My first car was a 72 Satellite and I have looked for over 20 years to find another in decent condition. I saw an add on-line for a 72 for sale and went to check it out. I was greated by a 76 year old lady who was selling it because her son had passed away recently and the car brought back memories so she wanted it gone. I did'nt hesitate and snapped it up right away. I opened the trunk and there I found the complete grill etc. but that is the tip of the iceberg, she called me a few days later and wanted me to come by for the rest of the parts....which turned out to be a 440 engine and transmission. I do not plan on making my car into a clone because it is in fantastic original condition and rust free but who knows maybe some day. Is this car worth more in original condition or as a clone? I live in Canada so it is rare to find a rust free survivor, the original bill of sale was in the glove box and it originally came from Santa Monica and was only up here for 4 years.

Thanks,

Mike
Sometimes I get to feeling that if Xmas, Fathers Day and my Birthday did not exist, then aftershave too would not exist.

72Rdrnner
GTX (RS)

Post by 72Rdrnner » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:44 pm

72 RR fan wrote:
Basin Street Blue...I just like the slang :)
Bingo! In the FSM however it's simply "B3" (which I suppose differentiated it from the more famous "B5")
72 RR fan wrote:
Thanks for the tips on grille color. It'll be while before I tear my car down, but any info I gather now is gold. I thought the same thing about reproduction grilles. They'd have sell for $$$ retail in order to tool up molds and such. :(
Just dug out the cans of paint I used. There were two different colors. One for the honeycomb and one for the three plastic pieces.

Both are Dupont Vinyl Color

For the plastic grille parts.

W8075J Maserati 1981
Code:0001 Color: ARGENTO - Effect

For the honeycomb

B8859J General Motors Corp 1988
Code: 12 Color: Silver - Effect

Don't know if any of this will help, but it's what I used. I took the grille and honeycomb to the paint supplier and the guy who I had been working with from the first day did some research and came up with what I used. They are both single stage paints and require no other mixing before use. Unlike the Dupont Chroma I used for the car which has two different components you have to mix together in a specific ratio.

Hope this helps.

72 RR fan
GTX (RS)

Post by 72 RR fan » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:06 pm

moparmike wrote:Yes I have all the mounting hardware and the roadrunner grill emblem. True story... My first car was a 72 Satellite and I have looked for over 20 years to find another in decent condition. I saw an add on-line for a 72 for sale and went to check it out. I was greated by a 76 year old lady who was selling it because her son had passed away recently and the car brought back memories so she wanted it gone. I did'nt hesitate and snapped it up right away. I opened the trunk and there I found the complete grill etc. but that is the tip of the iceberg, she called me a few days later and wanted me to come by for the rest of the parts....which turned out to be a 440 engine and transmission. I do not plan on making my car into a clone because it is in fantastic original condition and rust free but who knows maybe some day. Is this car worth more in original condition or as a clone? I live in Canada so it is rare to find a rust free survivor, the original bill of sale was in the glove box and it originally came from Santa Monica and was only up here for 4 years.

Thanks,

Mike
Wow!
What an incredible story! Please upload pictures....I'd like to say keep it original, but to clone is such a lure. If it was trashed, I'd clone. Original nice ones are hard to find. I found three orignal 71/72 ones latley around my place, and one SSP that's pretty original. None of them were "it" for me. I only have email pics though. I'd like to find a nice driver unrestored original. I think a slant six would be cool for me.

My first car 24 or so years ago was a 1972 Satellite Sebring. It was mint! If I could find one close to color/options as it, I'd love it.

You really got a bonus on the grille and engine, and parts. I'd hang onto them. Drive and enjoy your car awhile. You can modify it later if it suits you.

But please, upload pics!!

And thanks for the paint mix formula 72Rdrnner!!..I got a good auto paint store near my shop. I'll print the formula out and turn it over to them when I get close!

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:44 pm

I have pic's of the car but do not know how to upload them to this site...not really computer savvy but i will try

Mike

72 RR fan
GTX (RS)

Post by 72 RR fan » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:08 pm

When you make a post look below the text box you're typing into...click on "upload attatchment"...look for "filename", then click on "browse"...then get you desired file off of the designated folder etc in your computer. Then click on "add the file" (BTW-I am assuming that the pics are already on your computer)

I hope I explained it okay. Just preview your post and see if you loaded it properly. It may take a couple of times. You can upload two pics per post. That has been my result. I'm new to forums as of 2008.

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:37 pm

Tried to attach picture of car but it says my file is to large I will try to take another Picture at lower resolution.