General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

72PettybluRR
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 72 Roadrunner 472 hemi, petty blue, 4speed, dana
73 Charger Rallye 440 6pk, red, ramcharger hood,

Re: 72 grill

Post by 72PettybluRR » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:03 pm

I have a 72 RR which is Petty Blue. PB is not Basin Street Blue. Petty Blue is owned by Petty Enterprises. Chrysler paid Petty Ent for every PB blue car they sold, it was an option with code 999 (special order). Basin
Street Blue/Super Blue is option code TB3. The PB color was used to celebrate the return of Richard Petty
from Ford Racing in '71 to racing for Chrysler once again. I'm an old guy and you pick up details like this when you've been around as long as I have.

72Rdrnner
GTX (RS)

Post by 72Rdrnner » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:37 pm

72PettybluRR wrote:I have a 72 RR which is Petty Blue. PB is not Basin Street Blue. Petty Blue is owned by Petty Enterprises. Chrysler paid Petty Ent for every PB blue car they sold, it was an option with code 999 (special order). Basin Street Blue/Super Blue is option code TB3. The PB color was used to celebrate the return of Richard Petty from Ford Racing in '71 to racing for Chrysler once again. I'm an old guy and you pick up details like this when you've been around as long as I have.
I'm kind of an "old guy" at 73 years old. I've also been attending motor racing events since 1953 and NASCAR since 1963. Became a fan of The King when Fireball was killed in 1964 and remained one until he retired in 1992, whereupon I became a Jeff Gordon fan.

If memory serves me right The King drove for Ford in 1969 and came back to Mopar in 1970. He left in 1969 because he could not get a DODGE Charger Daytona winged car in '69, but in 1970 when the winged car was a PLYMOUTH Superbird, he was back in the Mopar camp.

As I understand he disallowed Mopar to use "Petty Blue" when he left in 1969.

The TB3 code is on the build sheet. B3 Is listed as the "Paint Code" in the FSM Body manual with the Chrysler code listed as AY1TB3 and Ditzler code is 2423.

The sales brochure (I bought my car new and still have it) lists the color as Basin Street Blue (same as FSM Body manual).

The only colors listed in the FSM Body manual that have "blue" in them are "B1-Blue Sky, B3-Basin Street Blue, B5-True Blue Poly, and B7-Evening Blue Poly" the last one not available on the Satellite.

Bottom line, while the B3 color was no Petty Blue, I'd opine the majority of people who have a Plymouth in that color, will refer to "Richard Petty Electric Blue" as the color.

Righteous One Owner '72 Roadrunner

72PettybluRR
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 72 Roadrunner 472 hemi, petty blue, 4speed, dana
73 Charger Rallye 440 6pk, red, ramcharger hood,

Post by 72PettybluRR » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:02 pm

The correct code for 'Petty Blue' was 999. The other blue colors were Chrysler colors and were not petty blue. Petty Blue is trademarked by Petty Enterprises and not for sale (I tried-no sale). Petty Blue was available in '72 as an extra cost option and was offered to celebrate Richards' return to Chrysler racing in Nascar from Ford racing. The 999 code will be on the fender data plate, if its not there-not a Petty Blue. Petty Enterprises was paid by Chrysler for every 999 car sold.