Will they ever repop fenders?

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

Beepbeep!
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 road runner ev2 383 3spd manual (build sheet, fender tag) no options

Will they ever repop fenders?

Post by Beepbeep! » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:45 pm

I'm getting quite frustrated trying to find fenders for my 71 RR. Do you think they will ever be reproduced..

dangina
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 roadrunner

Re: Will they ever repop fenders?

Post by dangina » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:40 pm

that and doors...
400 stroked to 470ci, 3:55 Eaton true trac, slightly upgraded suspension lol

BUILD THREAD!!!! http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?796-1971-Speedipus-Rex&highlight=speedipus

Beepbeep!
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 road runner ev2 383 3spd manual (build sheet, fender tag) no options

Post by Beepbeep! » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:55 pm

It sucks. The make all of this stuff for e bodies, but no love for the b bodies. Well, above 70 b bodies. Dnt they know that 71-74 roadrunners are the coolest?

moparite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Road Runner 4speed FJ6 air grabber car. And yes i have the
build sheet to prove it. NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE!

Post by moparite » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:12 pm

You need to find fenders that are in decent shape except for the rust at the lower section. They do make a repair panel for it. Doors are a problem, they should make at least a patch panel for the lower section. In time i would imagine this stuff may be reproduced. We are lucky we have what is available today. I remember when all you could get was floor pans!
http://www.autobodyspecialt.com/cgi-bin ... egory=0009

jace
Road Runner (RM)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite slant-6
1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus 318

Post by jace » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:20 am

I've was planning on attempting to make a set of fiberglass fenders for my 71 with my limited amateur fiberglass skills but at the moment I have to refurbish a house before I can move in and get back to my hobbies.

Not that I'd be in a position to produce or sell any, I thought I'd throw this option out there and maybe someone with the time and the means might give it a shot. I have 2 good 71 fenders stashed to splash molds from but right now I don't have time.

Anyway I'd like to hear opinions on fiberglass fenders. Reviews I've read so far from people who have used fiberglass fenders on other cars so far seems to be somewhat negative.
Last edited by jace on Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1971 Plymouth Satellite slant-6

steved
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth GTX, GY9 Tawny Gold
2000 Nissan Xterra
2016 Fiesta ST
other stuff

Post by steved » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:21 pm

this stuff takes time, and it's not rediculous priority. IMO, if we support AMD in the panels and replacements they have, they'll make more. 6 years ago, they hardly made floors, now there's NEW bumpers you can get?

that's massive!

sjd
1971 GTX, GY9 Tawny Gold.

moparite
GTX (RS)

Post by moparite » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:10 pm

I believe someone makes glass fenders. Seen them years ago.

rradar71
GTX (RS)

Post by rradar71 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:30 pm

I bought a parts car several years ago and needed to do something with my right fender. It was a toss up on which fender to save. I used the headlight bracket from one and put it on the other. I cut some more parts and fashioned patches from scratch. It was a lot of work, but I'm happy with the results and I had not attempted that kind of work before. The driver side fender sat around for a couple of years. It seemed that nobody wanted a fender that was not perfect. I finally got tired of storing it and took it to the scrap yard. If I had the room, I probably would have kept it, just in case I would need it one day.
I really don't get the fiberglass parts. These cars didn't have fiberglass fenders from the factory.

dangina
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 roadrunner

Post by dangina » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:04 pm

rradar71 wrote: I really don't get the fiberglass parts. These cars didn't have fiberglass fenders from the factory.
for us handling guys its more weight off of that front end!! I've seen a one piece molded front end, not bad work but don't know who made it,
400 stroked to 470ci, 3:55 Eaton true trac, slightly upgraded suspension lol

BUILD THREAD!!!! http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?796-1971-Speedipus-Rex&highlight=speedipus

jace
Road Runner (RM)

Post by jace » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:56 pm

I believe someone makes glass fenders. Seen them years ago.
All I've seen on the internet more recently is 71, 72 fiberglass hoods, trunk lids and doors mostly marketed towards the quarter mile racing crowd.

I really don't get the fiberglass parts. These cars didn't have fiberglass fenders from the factory.
I agree with your philosophy as far as my 72 SSP with 53,XXX original miles and only needs fresh paint and a roof liner but I can't say the same for my beat up and abused 140,000 mile slant-6 71 RL. The hood and roof were the only parts of the body that wasn't dented and some bozo decided to drill holes in every dent and attempt to pull them out and just created more work for me. I'm surprised that the my body work turned out as well as it did. It needs a complete interior and floor boards replaced, I am hoping the tie rods ends I replaced solves the alignment problem and hope the uni-body isn't tweaked.

So as far as my 71, no rules, no guilt and open game for any stupid customizing idea that crosses my twisted ADHD ADD OCD dyslexic senile mind. My good 71 fenders are too good for the car and I'll be looking for another better 71 later on.
Last edited by jace on Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jace
Road Runner (RM)

Post by jace » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:34 am

These cars didn't have fiberglass fenders from the factory.
Now you have me thinking how hard it would be to hammer out a sheet of aluminum with a re-enforced fiberglass mold and a propane torch? lol.

rradar71
GTX (RS)

Post by rradar71 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:16 pm

I can see the use of fiberglass for racing, but for driving on the street, I would be interested in how the headlights would be mounted. Can a glass headlight bracket be attached, or rivet on a metal one, or what.

jace
Road Runner (RM)

Post by jace » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:20 pm

I can see the use of fiberglass for racing, but for driving on the street, I would be interested in how the headlights would be mounted. Can a glass headlight bracket be attached, or rivet on a metal one, or what.
I'm not saying fiberglass fenders are the best option but may be the only option for the time being.
I really don't see AMD or anybody else going through the expense of tooling up for production of 2 one year specific fenders for 71 and 72 of only 40 thousand made each year over 40 years ago.

I had the same concerns about the headlight brackets as well and showed the fenders to one of my son's friends who is a 3rd generation shipbuilder and he said not a problem but didn't really elaborate other than to call him when I'm ready to try making the molds. My son said his friend would probably shove me out of the way and make the molds for me while I watch and learn.

As far as I know there are only four 71, 72 Satellite-Roadrunners in the county and I own two and I am eyeballing the other guys perfectly good fender-less Satellite parts car since he has his Roadrunner on the road now.

moparite
GTX (RS)

Post by moparite » Fri May 01, 2015 9:40 am

Glass "race" doors are available. Still couldn't find any fenders. :( Had my eye on the hood, Might be good for an air grabber. Mine weighs a ton. Not sure of the strength-integrity of it.
http://www.usbody.com/Pages_Cars/71-Roadrunner.htm

jace
Road Runner (RM)

Post by jace » Fri May 01, 2015 6:36 pm

I think in most cases we mostly need the outer skin of the fender, metal of your choice, fiberglass, carbon fiber, ect. bolted and-or welded to the unexposed parts of the fender. It would save tooling while keeping things simple with lower initial cost.

I'm also thinking it would simplify things initially to produce 71 fenders or skins and include inserts to accommodate 72 side-marker lights.

Just more thinking out loud.