Painless wiring?

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

aerodynamic
GTX (RS)

Painless wiring?

Post by aerodynamic » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:24 pm

Hi all,

I've been thinking about going with the "painless wiring" from Summit Racing. Has anyone tried it, and how complete is it? Seems hard to believe the kit would include all the same terminal types, not to mention different options such as tack or clock dash, or light packages.

landon1
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring

Post by landon1 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:28 pm

Is that for muscle cars or the universal system. I think the muscle car one is basically a universal harness, but it has the firewall mounted fuse box set-up instead of being able to mount it wherever. I guess it proby could include everything, because there's probably enough extra wires and connectors, etc. to run any other accessories one may have. My harness is original, so somebody else would have to tell you if it is as good as they make it sound in the catalogs and on the TV.

VirginiaSebring

Post by VirginiaSebring » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:18 pm

I'm interested in any feedback as well. I've contacted Ron Francis for thier wiring catalog, looked into Painless, but I'm on the fence.

I know that its not going to be as simple as connecting a repro from Year One, but I'm not worried about originiality and I would like to be able to use the new type fuses and move the box somewhere more convienient (as well as protected), BUT I worry about things like fender mounted turn signals and such.

In doing a little Googling, the comments I have found have made it sound as if going with anything but a repro harness is not going to be a "painless" proposition. :?

Virginia SSP

landon1
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring

Post by landon1 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:56 pm

I don't know, but you can always run the wiring for the fender signals and such so that they all run together, even if you have to buy some extra wire. If you know a little about wiring, you can get it done. My wiring was all messed up, then I fixed it, but my alternator grounded out or something and caught a bunch of stuff on fire, so it was just find what's bad and replace, so you could probably use a harness of your choice and then follow the basic wiring instructions and te diagrams for the car. Eventually, it should work out, but wiring is never completely painless, cuz it sucks, but it has to be done.

aerodynamic
GTX (RS)

Post by aerodynamic » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:33 pm

Yeah, my spider sense is tingling too. I sent them an email with these same questions, and all they did was refer me back to the website. That seems rather evasive, as my questions were simple, and there's nothing on the website that's helpful.