Moderator: Site Administrators

Uppy
Satellite Sebring (RH)
My Cars: Present: 1971 Plymouth GTX
Past: 1970 Dodge Coronet 500
1973 Dodge Charger SE

New guy has pics of 71 GTX

Post by Uppy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:52 am

Thanks for the warm welcome, here are some pictures of my GTX. She came out of Colorado where she was parked since 1985. I took her on a trade for my 1970 Dodge Coronet 500, she needed a new gas tank and some TLC. She runs like a top, quite amazing for a car that sat for so long. These pictures were taken by the guy I got the car from, I will post some more pictures later.
Attachments
GTX2.jpg
gtxrear.jpg

Uppy
Satellite Sebring (RH)
1973 Dodge Charger SE

Re: New guy has pics of 71 GTX

Post by Uppy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:13 am

Here are a few more pictures. Does anyone know what the interior fabric is called? I don't think it's houndstooth. Do any suppliers make this for restorations? Thanks
Attachments
gtxinterior.jpg
gtxinterior2.jpg
gtxengine.jpg

rr6pak
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Tor-Red RR

Post by rr6pak » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:23 am

Welcome to the Nest Uppy and good looking car. I dont know the name right off hand but send that picture to Legendary or Dantes to see if they have it. Post more eye candy whn time permitts and more of the story behind the car. Good luck

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:25 am

This is interesting. Of all the GTXs I have in my database, this is the first I've seen with a blue plaid interior. I have cars with green, brown, and black cloth on record, but none in blue. Blue vinyl is much more common. This is a bench seat car right (P3B5)?
I'd love to see the fender tag and/or broadcast sheet.
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

471Magnum
GTX (RS)

Post by 471Magnum » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:51 am

Which interior code is that? P3B5 (Split bench)? Or P5B5 (bucket)?

Here is a link to the 71 trim selector:
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dea ... h-04.shtml
Image Image
That has to be a rare combination. I had a Black GTX with blue vinyl interior (P6B5) car.
-Jim
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ULTIMATE set of tools... I can fix it."

Uppy
Satellite Sebring (RH)
1973 Dodge Charger SE

Post by Uppy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:44 am

I am including picture of tag. The car came with P3B5 bench, which must have been reupholstered at some time because it doesn't match the back seat. As far as the story behind the car goes, I was in the process of trying to sell my Dodge on C list, and a guy called and asked if I was interested in a trade. I asked him what he had and to send some pictures and I would think about it. Well I get the pictures and I'm thinking to myself, whats the catch? This must be some sort of scam or something, who would trade a one year only GTX for a Coronet 500? Well it turns out this guy restores Mopars, he took the car in on trade to reduce the cost of a restoration for a customers 1968 RR. He said he had no attachment to the car but wanted the Coronet (which by the way was a heavily optioned dealer demo car). I talked with some buddy's who both own GTX's (69&71) and they thought I was getting the better deal. The guy who wanted to trade also thought I was getting a great deal but was still willing to trade. The customer who found the GTX in Colorado is a truck driver and bought the car 2 years ago I think for $500 bucks! Thats all I know of it's history other than during my investigation I found that it has solid motor mounts. Kind of wierd to have the car running sounding mean as hell and the motor doesn't move an inch! Crazy.
Attachments
gtxvfendertag.jpg

471Magnum
GTX (RS)

Post by 471Magnum » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:30 pm

The "catch" simply is that is a color combination that lacks mass appeal. That blue interior scares off a lot of potential buyers. Coupled with the white exterior, air conditioning and bench seat, appearance-wise, it's more of a grandma car than muscle car.

Not intended to be a knock on the car, just a market assessment.

The split bench is definitely pretty rare. Only 178 produced. Other than that, it's got a pretty straight forward fender tag.

I need to dig up the tag picture on my black/blue car. It too was a column shift (later converted to console). Wondering what the SPD was.
-Jim
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ULTIMATE set of tools... I can fix it."

Uppy
Satellite Sebring (RH)
1973 Dodge Charger SE

Post by Uppy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:08 pm

Thanks for the assesment, I agree a wierd color combo with lousy options. I also heard (same buddy) that the remote hood release was also a "rare" option. Came with chrome handle but cable is broken at the handle. When I got the car, it had M/T valve covers and Edelbrock intake. Fortunately the original parts were in the trunk. I already put the factory covers back on, and replaced the 600cfm (not original) carb with a Holley 750 double pumper. Exterior color is SnoWhite, which is what I have been calling the car. I guess this makes me Dopey!

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:20 pm

471Magnum wrote:Which interior code is that? P3B5 (Split bench)? Or P5B5 (bucket)?
I do not believe there was a P5B5 blue cloth bucket seat option available. I've only seen P5x9 cloth on buckets.
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:36 pm

Uppy wrote:Thanks for the assesment, I agree a wierd color combo with lousy options. I also heard (same buddy) that the remote hood release was also a "rare" option. Came with chrome handle but cable is broken at the handle. When I got the car, it had M/T valve covers and Edelbrock intake. Fortunately the original parts were in the trunk. I already put the factory covers back on, and replaced the 600cfm (not original) carb with a Holley 750 double pumper. Exterior color is SnoWhite, which is what I have been calling the car. I guess this makes me Dopey!
To me, that's a very cool color combo. I would prefer cloth seats over vinyl any day....for the comfort factor if nothing else and blue interiors are sweet. We all know how those black vinyl seats feel in the middle of 90 deg summer weather. The all white body color combined with the V21 black hood indent stripes and the V7X black body side pinstripe would look really sharp!
I wouldn't say the remote hood release is all that rare.
Does this car have power drum brakes?

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:51 pm

This is the closest photo I have to your combination....might give a better idea how your car would look with the correct black pinstripe....just ignore the air grabber hood.
Attachments
71hemigtxa.jpg
4064127548_bbecc900c5.jpg

471Magnum
GTX (RS)

Post by 471Magnum » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:39 pm

Eric wrote:To me, that's a very cool color combo. I would prefer cloth seats over vinyl any day....for the comfort factor if nothing else and blue interiors are sweet. We all know how those black vinyl seats feel in the middle of 90 deg summer weather. The all white body color combined with the V21 black hood indent stripes and the V7X black body side pinstripe would look really sharp!
I wouldn't say the remote hood release is all that rare.
Does this car have power drum brakes?
Having owned one I've got nothing against blue interiors personally. It definitely raised a few eyebrows on my black car. I'm not a big fan of black interiors, currently owning one, and having owned several in the past. I'd welcome a car with a different color. The blue guts on a white car though just makes me think "grandma"

I've got a buddy with a 70 RR. 383 four speed. White with blue bench guts. No extra stripes. Looks like a granny car. Perfect sleeper IMHO.

The subject car is coded B11 for manual drums, same as both of my 71 GTXs.

Not to hijack, but I did dig up the tag on my black car. "318" SPD. Not the close cousin I thought it might be. Tag attached. If you're looking for a "book end" garage mate, I found it listed for sale out of Oregon. http://www.monstermusclecars.com/606RA_ ... Black.html
Attachments
44ed_3.jpg
-Jim

Uppy
Satellite Sebring (RH)
1973 Dodge Charger SE

Post by Uppy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:19 pm

Very cool. Seeing how nice the white paint looks makes me think that restoring to factory will look pretty cool. I know, don't change the color but I was kicking the idea around. I think she will stay SnoWhite. As for the drums, they are manual and very different if you never owned a manual brake car. The car needs drivers side rear quarter and trunk extension. Obviously some miscellanious body work and a nice paint job. The interior needs to be redone, including a new dash pad. But the good news is that the car runs really good, although there seems to be a lot of blow by. If I put a PVC valve in the valve cover, during excelleration oil will blow out of the dipstick tube. Not sure if due to stuck rings (probable cause due to sitting for 25 years) or possibly that the motor is set up for racing? Solid motor mounts made me think of that possibility. Any thoughts?

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:06 pm

471Magnum wrote:
The subject car is coded B11 for manual drums, same as both of my 71 GTXs.
I realize B11 codes drum brakes, however, going from memory I had the idea that the A04 package included power brakes....hence the question.

My first road runner was a manual drum car....I had some scary moments getting that car stopped

471Magnum
GTX (RS)

Post by 471Magnum » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:19 pm

Eric wrote:My first road runwas a manual drum car....I had some scary moments getting that car stopped
Try manual drums, manual steering, and a four speed... while holding a big gulp. :shock:

My GY3 GTX was a bitch. Had to plan your navigation through a low speed turn well in advance. :D
-Jim