Quality question

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

Miel
Road Runner (RM)

Quality question

Post by Miel » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:14 pm

Hey guys,

I got a question about the quality of goodmark platework. I found some quarterpanels for my 71 RR, but before I purchase them I wanne know if any of you guys has any experience with them? are they the same quality as AMD?

plz let me know, thx for you time guys :).

Greets Miel

bruce
Site Admin

Re: Quality question

Post by bruce » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:55 pm

No firsthand experience, BUT I've been told AMD is the better of the two products. If you're going to use AMD be sure to give our own Jeff Brown a shout here on the site. Couldn't recommend anyone more highly than Jeff. :beer:

Jeff's site is www.521Restorations.com
Bruce Anliker

Miel
Road Runner (RM)

Post by Miel » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:40 pm

thx for the info, and I'm already in contact with Jeff 8) .

I found out that the platework seems the be a bit thinner than the original, not sure if thats the same with AMD. and that they made the stuff (they stopped producing them because of the low demand) in Thailand :shock: .

But I can't find any info on the fitting of the quarters.

Miel

SureGrip
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 SSP....lots of parts

Post by SureGrip » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:32 pm

I don't believe Goodmark was making their own stuff, just re-selling the overseas stuff.

AMD does make their own panels...I've seen a few sets in person at the shows, and they are VERY nice quality.
One day - 1971 Road Runner clone

rr6pak
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Tor-Red RR

Post by rr6pak » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:55 pm

I purchased a few AMD pieces. I cant speak for Goodmark but for AMD, couldn't be happier. The pieces I got fit like a glove :)

71ChallengerSE
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner RM23 Numbers Matching 340 4spd
1972 Satellite Sebring Plus EV2 1 Owner Family Special Order
1971 Challenger 383 R/T tribute
1971 Dodge Demon 'Sizzler'
1970 Dart Swinger 'Special' 340 pro-touring
1975 Dart Swinger/Scamp project confused 225 super six

Post by 71ChallengerSE » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:26 am

I have purchased from both, I bought a Goodmark trunklid for my challenger and I have no complaints with it and I have purchased AMD floors and quarters. Unless its really cheap I would go with AMD, they have good quality stuff even if they cant tell the difference between a 69 and a 72 Dart floor pan :D
1972 Road Runner RM23 Numbers Matching 340 4spd
1972 Satellite Sebring Plus EV2 1 Owner Family
1971 Challenger 383 R/T tribute
1971 Dodge Demon 'Sizzler'
1970 Dart Swinger 'Special' 340 pro-touring
1975 Dart Swinger/Scamp project confused 225 super six

kenny
GTX (RS)
My Cars: RM23N1G107875

Post by kenny » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:22 pm

i will know in a bit but my body guy said he has used the goodmark 71 charger quarters before and they were fine, i ordered mine for 71 road runner tuesday for 483.oo per side thats a huge price gap from the amd best price i could find on them was over 1300.00 for a set. i got 2 quarters, 2 trunk drop offs, one inner fender, and a full floor pan for 1505.00 from goodmark purchased through a preffered vendor, i would have had that in 2 quarters and 1 drop off from amd, with no other parts; really even if they need a little work fitting they will still be a better deal. however i should be able to give you feedback from my body guy on fitting in a week or so if you want.

Beepbeep!
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 road runner ev2 383 3spd manual (build sheet, fender tag) no options

Post by Beepbeep! » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:38 pm

I used amd floor pans and they are top notch! Getting ready for he trunk soon.

Miel
Road Runner (RM)

Post by Miel » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:09 am

Hey Guys,

THX!, for all the feedback, but I ordered my parts at 521restoration (Jeff) with a very nice discount!
I don't trust the goodmark stuff because of the stories about the thickness of the metal.

Within a few weeks my parts will arrive in Holland and I'll continue my project, I'll keep you updated ;)

Greets Miel

kenny
GTX (RS)

Post by kenny » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:00 pm

i picked up my goodmark oe style quarters, inner fender, and trunk drop offs today at the truck terminal. not sure how the fit will be yet however i didnt think they were thick. the trunk frop offs and inner fender appeared better maybe due to all the extra bends adding structure or the smaller overall size maybe, but those big quarters didn't appear to be very strong while uninstalled, i have never purchased panels before so i had no idea what to expect really, but i am worried about the end result. i hope your purchase doesnt disappoint you like mine did me today.

rr6pak
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Tor-Red RR

Post by rr6pak » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:37 am

Kenny

IMOP, wait til you get them trial fitted to the car before making any assumptions. The thickness of the metal is one thing to consider but it also gets its strength/ridgity as to how it is connected to the rest of the structure its going on. For instance, airplanes. The aluminum on aircraft isnt that thick for the majority of the plane. Yet how/where/and what its conncted to is where it gets structurally strong. I hope I explained this somewhat clear. Bottom line, read the my first sentence.

kenny
GTX (RS)

Post by kenny » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:21 pm

i understand what you are saying, very understandable. i was hoping that would be the case, like a stated the other parts were much stronger due to all the bends adding structure to them. the quarters are just big flat sheets really and i was hoping once they were tied in with roof, wheel houses, trunk, door jamb, tail panel, and under rear window that they would loose the flex since they would get boxed in from all sides but the way they ship and the thin metal i was worried about bending them up crossing railroads and such on the way home. thanks for the encouragement, i will follow up with a fitment report once i have one.

kenny
GTX (RS)

Post by kenny » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:41 am

i know this question started a while back and the original person has already moved on, however for future lookers and searchers of the same info i am following up. furthermore, as i stated earlier in this topic posting i purchased the all my goodmark parts for a few dollars more than the price of a pair of amd quarters alone, and i said would tell about the feedback given to me about the fitment of these parts. my installer started at the front and is moving back so it took a little while to get to the quarters, but he cut off the original driver quarter a couple days ago and started fitting the new goodmark unit, i went over yesterday morning and took a look, it is not welded in yet just clamped in place but the body line matched up at the door wonderfully, i asked him what his thoughts were and he was very pleased with how well it fit out of the box, and said the trunk extension took some persuasion but that was part of it nothing special. also the inner fender is installed he said it too presented no problems. nevertheless, the full floor pan is mostly finished, he did say it didnt fit as well as some others he has installed, and required more work to get roughed in and finished, but also not as bad as some metal had installed either. i know each car is a little different and each part can be a little different, however overall from what i see, and what he tells me, i would recommend the goodmark parts to anyone who wanted my opinion.

gary
GTX (RS)
My Cars: '71 GTX Gold Leaf Met.440 A/T

Post by gary » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:15 pm

Thanks For Sharing that Info! Did you notice where your panels were made?
Just Curious, :beer:

kenny
GTX (RS)

Post by kenny » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:08 pm

i didnt, just that they came to me from a goodmark warehouse in atlanta area.