Wheel question

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

aerodynamic
GTX (RS)

Wheel question

Post by aerodynamic » Fri May 05, 2006 9:05 pm

Hi all, I'm looking for some suggestions. The 73 Road Runner I just bought is black and I'm going to keep the overall scheme that way. I'm looking for a certain type of wheel, probably alloy, that would be all black from the center almost out to the edge of the wheel, where it would have maybe a 1-2 inch wide polished aluminum "ring" where a trim ring would be on a steel wheel. It may end up being a stupid idea, but maybe not.

Anyone seen anything like this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Greg

Capsule
GTX (RS)

Post by Capsule » Sat May 06, 2006 7:10 am

Hey Greg,

Im not sure if you are thinking of a specific wheel or if you have a picture in your head of some type og black wheel with a polished rim!?

Anyway, I think the black theme sound cool. You could go with American Racing TT's and have the grey spokes paintet black. AR also makes the Salt Flat Special, these could also be paintet black.
One solution could be to use classic Porsche Fusch wheels, dunno if the holepattern fits but they were often black center with a brushed rim.
Lastly you could do a cop wheel set-up with trim rings, that I've seen and it does the job nicely :)

Just a few ideas!

Capsule

landon1
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring

Post by landon1 » Sat May 06, 2006 11:06 am

First thing I thought of was the American Racing wheels, too. They look just like the torque thrusts, except not completely chrome, so they'll stand out. You can paint the spokes black (the gray looks horrible, personally) and have the polished outer rim and center caps. That's how my dad did his charger. I think you can get them from normal muscle car sizes up to more modern (maybe 17") -- then you could put on bigger brakes if that's your thing, too. I'm a big fan of 14 or 15s and that's about it.

aerodynamic
GTX (RS)

Hi all

Post by aerodynamic » Sat May 06, 2006 7:26 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Here's a couple I was looking at today. One's more like a turbine, but I like the black in it.

sorry, you'll have to copy and paste

http://www.americanracing.com/wheels/de ... &section=A

http://www.americanracing.com/appguide/ ... =47&id=738

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed May 10, 2006 6:16 am

Id go for American racing Torq Thrust D or Torq Thrust origonal

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Wed May 10, 2006 11:36 am

Capsule wrote: AR also makes the Salt Flat Special, these could also be painted black.

Capsule
You know I looked at these some time back, but just got a idea with them.

If you got the polished version of these and painted the centers black while leaving a 1/4" around the holes, they would look pretty darn close to the aluminum rims mopar recalled in 69. I always thought those looked cool.
4th generation B bodys- there is no substitute.
68 383, Street Demon 750, RPM top end,484/284/108 poo poo cam "-5 spd 4:10 SG, 4whl disk, Helwig Anti-Sway, Poly bushings,Firm Feel Box, HD Linkage, 1" t-bars, 7 leafs Springs

Capsule
GTX (RS)

Post by Capsule » Thu May 11, 2006 5:04 pm

Hi Road Chicken,

are you thinking of the Kelsey Hayes "Recall" wheels? They actually look pretty cool I think. I once read in a Mopar magazine that www.specialtywheelsltd.org/ had reproduced them in 15" and 16", but they don't show on their site and I have never seen any on project cars.

Anyhow, I'm not sure what wheels I'm gonna go for either. If I could only make up my mind!!

Capsule